fixing a leaky tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i got a ten gallon tank from a friend of mine, i'd been using it for my kingsnake so the fact that it didn't hold water wasn't a problem. well now i want to fix it up so i can attempt a small planted tank, for guppies or platties.

is there a cheap way i can fix the tank? will resilaconing the inside work or do i have to start from the ground up so to speak? lol

Where's the leak and how bad is it? And what kind of leak? eg: crack in the top or bottom, leaking through the corners where the resin is holding the tank together...

the glass is fine, it's the silacone but i'm not sure where the leak is, since i never filled it. i guess i should go test it on the back portch tho...

well, you can get 10 gallon aquariums for 9 bucks at walmart or something, so i'd think its almost cheaper and definately easier just to buy a new one. I think the silicone that they sell at petsmart and stuff is like, 5 bucks for a tiny thing of it, and if you were to get the same stuff (just not made specifically for aquariums) from walmart/home depot or something, i think its like, 7 bucks. Thats what i paid for one anyways.

well nearly 5 hours and no leak, tho i did notice a place on one of the top corners where the silacone has come off a bit, maybe they just over filled the tank? my two gallon leaks if you fill it up right to the top so i bet thats the problem, i'll check it in the morning just to be safe tho.

Back
Top Bottom