Flake Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought Nutrafin Max flake food for tropical fish. I have 5 cardinal tetras and a clown loach of which all love the flakes as well as the brine shrimp and bloodworm I feed them.

My question is: do I need to break the large flakes (2cm) pieces into smaller flakes or is feeding the fish this size ok :?:

Some of the tetras rip them apart but the smaller ones don't seem to ravage these bits. I make sure all the fish eat at each session. Will breaking the pieces up increase the risk of over feeding :?:

Louise

Flakes will get ripped apart and the filter will break them into small pieces. Doubt it makes much of a difference, either way theyll get the food they want.

I asked my lfs guy about the flakes, and he said he doesn't recommend them for my fish. He said it was like fish candy and not too healthy for them. He gave me this food (about the same price so he wasn't trying to make a buck or anything) called "New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula." The main ingredient is krill meal and it's got Vitamins A, D and E. I got a 5.3 oz container for $9.50. Two or three times a week I feed them "Hikari Multi-Vitamin Enriched Blood Worms." They are freeze dried so I don't need to worry about parasites. I'm also starting to look into a daphnia culture for the tank.

Thanks for the info guy's :D

The flake food I am giving them is made up of the same ingredients that you have outlined shawmutt plus a colour enahncer. I vary their diet which includes the bloodworms (by Hikari),brine shrimp and zucchini. They love all their meals esp the tetras on the brine shrimp and the clown loach on the bloodworms.

Cheers
Louise

Back
Top Bottom