Flame tetras/threadfin rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noticed some fin nipping or fin rot in some fish I have in ISO. They are 4 threadfin rainbows and 5 flame tetras.

The water is
Ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 0-5
pH 8.2

I was going to start some melafix but wanted opinions. I was planning on putting these fish in a 28 gallon bowfront tank with 8 neons and 4 cories. Want to double check my research and advice.

Thanks.

If it's fin nipping then they don't need melafix, if it's true fin rot then melafix will usually work. You want to wait to move them or add any new fish until this issue is resolved.

Yup will do. I've changed the water daily since I've noticed. I hope it isn't fin nipping I really just want a peaceful tank, of course fin rot isn't better. Added stress coat and melafix and shall see.

Thanks!

Neither are necessary, but neither will hurt anything. The daily water changes are going to be key here, so definitely keep those up. :)

Will do. I have done daily 50% for 3 days.

Thanks!

Is there a way to determine nipping vs rot? I'm mostly concerned about this little guy.

Attachments

• image-160087147.jpg
    image-160087147.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1318323677.jpg
    image-1318323677.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1446022069.jpg
    image-1446022069.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 101
Is it all the fish or just that little guy? Honestly I'd just do the melafix, it won't hurt, and see if it improves. Plus try to watch and see if you have a nipper. Threadfins are not nippers, I have some. The tetra's can be and if it's the little guy he could just be getting picked on. But S Mama is right, keeping up with WC's to keep water quality high will do alot for the healing no matter which is the cause.

No it is this guy and two thread fins. The tetra has it the worst. Sure hope they grow back quick.

I'm thinking the other flame tetra in the pic could be a nipper. If he is and keeps it up what do I do?

Flame tetras are tough fish and that injury really doesn't look that bad to me. That's the sort of thing that generally grows back in a matter of days. The water changes will not only help with healing, but will help to prevent secondary infection (fin rot). If that is the worst injury out of the 3 fish, IMO you don't have anything to worry about.

Are you seeing the aggression going on? Often when tetras nip, you can cut down on that by adding more of them. This spreads the aggression out. Before anyone jumps in and says that 6 is a minimum for tetras, adding one more fish is not going to change the situation if there is an aggressive one in the bunch. Keeping them in an even larger group, say 8-12 fish or more, would be helpful here IME.

I'm glad they are tough. That is what I thought. I am slowly replacing my Neon Tetra school with a Flame Tetra School. My concern is, after ISO, and until their number reaches 11 they will be in a 28 gallon bowfront tank with 8 Neons and 4 Corys.

I see one fish that enjoys chasing and the others like to get away from. I would assume he is the nippy one IF there is a nippy one that but is all I can say now.

I don't want the Neons to get taken out early by fin nipping (leading to disease) SO if that is the case I can move either my Neons to my 75 or just the Flame Tetras to the 75 (which currently has peppered cories and some Red Eye Tetras) when they are done with ISO. I'm a little nervous about putting the smaller school in with the Neons.

I would go ahead and add the neons to your main tank first, and build up the numbers of your flame tetras (and possibly your threadfins as well) in your 28 gal. Red eyes can also be nippy, but if you aren't seeing problems now then maybe you won't even once the new fish are added. Nothing is ever a sure bet when it comes to aggression with fish. You can read profiles left and right but sometimes they still surprise you. LOL. If it helps, I put 25 flames at a time in a 20 gal high tank and don't have any trouble. I really think adding to their numbers might be key here.

You may find that you need to do this with the red eyes as well, especially as they get older and larger.

Will do thanks! I was going to add more Red Eyes but the last time I went to the LFS they had a decomposing fish in their tank and some sort of fungus all over the gravel. So I passed. Plus they were Lamp Eye which as far as I can tell are the same thing.

I'll up the schools for the neons and the lamp eye in the 75 asap. I added 7 corys last week and the water quality is steady and all looks good. I'm just hesitant to add them w/out ISO. I'll check your page to see if you have some :D

I appreciate all the help!
Jana

Speaking of aggression, one of my previous fish, a lamp eye was mean as hell. Everyone said that was surprising but the longer I watched them the more fish he was chasing and biting when he could. He and his friends went to a home with giant danios and some gourami and they never again seemed to have any problems, ...behaved after that.

I think sometimes there's just a cranky one in the bunch.

Thanks Severum_mama. I looked at your page and you have no Red Eye Tetras! :( LOL I will work on adding their numbers. I am debating separating the flames from the rainbows in ISO for now.

I am debating 7 threadfins 4 males and 3 females, 11 neons and 6 corydora trileneatus in the 28. I know the neons and corys are peaceful now so I think it is a safe bet they would stay that way. I have to make sure the stocking works but that tank sounds like it will be ok for now

The nipped fin guy had to be moved to his own iso. I was one white spot on him and wasn't sure. It may be in the tank but to play it safe I moved him out for now. I am having crappy luck with ISO'ing fish.

A cranky one in the bunch ruins all the fun!

Back
Top Bottom