Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Sahabo Send a message via Yahoo to Sahabo
Flaring solution

My betta resides in my bedroom. During the day, I keep the curtains open so he has some natural light. However, when I turn on his tank light, the room is still dark enough that he can see his reflection and flares at it.

I've been keeping the tank light off because I don't want to stress him out. I'd like to be able to have it on...I'm eventually going to get some live plants, too.

So, I thought that maybe getting some of that stick on background might do the trick, but it would only cover 1-3 sides of the tank...what about the front? Or, I could set up a small lamp near his tank to give more light.

I'd love to hear what others have done.

(Hopefully someday soon I'll stop asking questions and be able to help others with theirs! )

Sahabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I think he might get over flaring when he gets used to seeing his own reflection. My betta flares too but not all the time.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You could try the backgrounds. They come in a variety of designs, or you could use the solid blue side. I had one on my first betta tank and I don't think the betta flared at it (it is somewhat shiny itself so there is the potential to still have the betta see himself). I just used Scotch tape to hold it in place. If it is too shiny or reflective for your betta, you could try blue or black paper, although it could get wet at water changes. One time I used a black garbage bag as a background. It wasn't reflective but it didn't look very nice in photos so I took it off. I don't have anything on my tanks now but I do want to get one of those backgrounds again and see how my current bettas react to it.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com