Flat Worms.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold Canadian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, this past summer I propagated dwarf saggetaria in a out door tank. I cleaned the plants in a bleach solution before bringing them into my indoor display tanks. Yet I now have a infestation of worm things in my Aquarium. Using Wikipedia, textbooks and my highschools microscopes, I detemend them to be flatworms of either of these family's.
Turbellaria(pretty sure it's this one 70%)
Trematoda
The latter is commonly known as flukes.

I would like to hear of people story's with flatworms, opinions on them, pros and cons of them in an aquarium and any methods of population control/ population removal. (I think medicine designed for flukes may work on flatworms because of close family's, but I am not sure.)

A picture of the worm will help.
Trematodes are a sp. with many different worms. Some harmless others fatal..
With info provided I would just up your maintenance as often planaria or detritus worms become more noticeable when water quality declines.Often just a good clean up will go a long way.Otherwise look into Flubendazole 10 % powder.

Very faint but I think you are correct with the shape (triangular). Your prize? Planaria! Easily treatable. In tanks with fish I pretty much ignore them. In tanks with shrimp I try to deal with them because they can pose a threat to juvenile shrimp.

Very faint but I think you are correct with the shape (triangular). Your prize? Planaria! Easily treatable. In tanks with fish I pretty much ignore them. In tanks with shrimp I try to deal with them because they can pose a threat to juvenile shrimp.
I have first and shrimp in both of my tanks. I have been feeding less and doing some more gravel vacuuming. (spelling?) I have noticed less of them in total since, but I would like to eradicate them. For the reason that I do much trading through my local aquarium club, I do not want to give them accidentally to a fellow aquarist who doesn't want them. (Hitch a ride on a plant)

What method do you use to "deal with them" ?

Take a small water bottle. Take a needle and do some holes inside bottle. Very small holes that once planaria worms get inside they can't come out. Put some food inside. Different kind of foods. Let bottle stay overnight and check in morning. This video is very helpful:

https://youtu.be/uiSljx0tz6o

Back
Top Bottom