Flies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenix01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Flies?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with Gouramis, Loaches, and some congo tetras. I noticed the other day that there were maggots at the top of the tank and on the hood. I immediately wiped the hood and the top of the tank and replaced 20% of the water. Since then, I have begun to notice small brown flies around my apartment. Every time I open the hood, more fly out. More maggots have appeared, and I can't seem to do anyting to get rid of them. I have 3 other tanks, and I have not seen any files in those. The fish in the 55 gallon eat tropical flakes, whereas the fish in the other tanks are fed brine shrimp, goldfish flakes and betta pellets. Could the flies be coming from the flakes? Is there anyting I can do? Thanks.

Erin

never heard of it? You said there were magots on the wood? Is the wood in the tank? Did you soak it/boil it before adding it to your tank? I'm wondering if the flies aren't showing up because of the maggots. Sort of like a buffet, the maggots die and the flies smell that and have made a little home for themselves in your hood. They tend to live only where there is a great food source. Try pulling out the wood,add carbon to the filter, doing 25% daily changes for a week, and leave the hood open and see if they go away. I really have no idea just taking a guess. Hope it works or someone else knows,

are they big house flies or little fruit flies. In our old place, we had a fruit fly problem and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Turns out, our dishwasher was leaking under the particle board cabinet under the sink, and the fruit flies LOVED the wet wood. It had to be all torn out.

They aren't fruit flies, but they are smaller than regular house flies. Since they are only in the aquarium in my bedroom, I have checked the bathromm plumbing and cabinets. I haven't seen any other than the ones in my tank.

I frequently find small (possibly Chironomid) flies floating on the surface of my aquarium. Can you provide a more exact description of said "maggots" and winged adults?

megos1 said:
Oof, I have never heard of that. Did you find maggots in the fish food?
No, but it is the only think I could think of. I was hoping maybe it has happened to someone else. It happened to me years before (in a different tank), and the only common thing between the two is the food.

The larva look like segmented worms and are a light yellow color. The flies are small and brown, but bigger than friut flies.

Did you ever feed the fish live bloodworms? These are actually larvae of small flies called midges. It's not unheard of for some of these larvae to pupate into adult flies.

The other possibility is that insects in your area are starting to wake up and are looking for warm bodies of water in which to lay eggs. Some of the plastic hoods sold today don't seal off the tank very well at all. You could get a better fitting glass lid, or try covering the hood with saran to keep the intruders out. In any case, I'm sure that your gouramis and tetras don't mind the extra snacks.

I have only used the tropical flakes in there, but I am seriously thinking about giving them something better to eat.

I will have to try the saran wrap thing though. I can see the hood has a small gap around the edges, so that may very well be it.

Back
Top Bottom