Floating Cucumber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emi1990

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This might sound really daft but I have tried to put cucumber in my tank for my plec but it keeps just floating to the top so I presume the plec wont be able to get to it then?
Does anyone else put the cucumber in and it floats?
Thank you :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I find that the best method is too nuke the cucumber on the microwave and then put it in the aquarium weighed down by a rock. This way the pleco can get it it with ease

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

My BN feeds off cucumber, courgette etc straight away if it's been zapped for a few seconds in the microwave, just cooked, but will leave it for a day or so, if raw, until it's started to soften. It sinks easier when cooked but still need some form of weight to keep it down. I put it in at lights out and remove it the following morning, before it decomposes, which can make the tank messy. If you have shrimp then it'll probably be gone by the morning anyway.

I'm going to get some clips because I don't have a microwave.

My other fish are dwarf gourami rummy nose tetras and Cardinal tetras, they are so greedy wouldn't be surprised if they tried to eat it.

Thanks for the advice guys ?

You can take a stainless steel fork, stick the fork in the veg to weigh it down and lay it on the bottom. Plecs should have veggies every day. Just wash or scrub like you would for yourself. Any dark leafy greens, green beans, squash of any kind, sweet potato , cukes, melon, pumpkin, sweet peppers, carrots, basically most veggies you eat and some fruit are fine. I avoid citrus, tomatoes, avacado, hot peppers. They also need driftwood to rasp on. Alison

I blanch zucchini in boiling water for 30 sec and cool on ice. I use a veggie clip to help it sink.

I keep zucchini in the tank for 24-36 hours. Any longer and it'll (literally) start to smell like poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bamboo skewers is another option. I bought a pack of 100 for a couple bucks. Also good for general poking and prodding.

Lead plant weights

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just took a small rock, like aquarium gravel, put it through the middle of the cucumber and it sunk it immediately. Also a cucumber for my BN pleco.

I slice cucumber or zucchini thin put it in a bowl with water and microwave it for about 2 minutes or 3 and then it sinks to the bottom

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have a microwave and my plec doesn't seem to like it raw

Throw it in a small pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom