floating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
:puppydogeyes: Can anyone give me a hint on what type of floating plant is best for my 20g freshwater tank? I've read that gouramis like a place to hide.

All of my plants are plastic, but I'd like to float a live plant. I need suggestions and where I can find such a plant. Help.

I've floated Brazilian Penneywort in my tanks before; it looks like a vine and has large enough leaves that your gourami (if kinda small) could swim between them.

Then there are the "standard" floating plants like duckweed (which I hate, because it gets into everything and takes forever to remove from a tank!) and its much larger (more manageable) cousin frogbit. Guppy grass (Najas) is something a lot of people float in their tanks as well.

I have brazilian pennywort and water wisteria floating in my tank. The floating wisteria is my biggest grower :D

pennywort is my fav but there are a ton of them from water lettuce frog bit riccia hornwort and so on.

i have some riccia or hornwort i can send to you for shipping.

fisheggs: I haven't because I'm still stocking the tank. Today I'm adding a dwarf gourami. She is acclimating as we speak. I can see the bag from where I'm sitting here at the computer. I'm going to give her more than an hour this time. I don't want to lose her.

By the way I tried a real wood sculpture. After soaking and soaking and scrubbing, when I put it in the tank it still leached. So, out it came. I'm a clear water freak. Can't stand the darker image. It went back to my LFS and I replaced it with a nice artificial one. Oh well.

Also, I saw the cutest dwarf black spotted puffers today but learned they are not nice. So I passed on the idea.

Also, I saw the cutest dwarf black spotted puffers today but learned they are not nice. So I passed on the idea.

Dwarf puffers are indeed cute as heck, but they don't do well with other fish so that was a good call to pass on them.

Back
Top Bottom