Floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BL1ND1ND3X

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,
I have a question about floating plants while using an aqua clear.
Is it possible to have floating plants with the aqua clear, because I put it in my 20 gallon and the aqua clear flow kept pushing the plants down which then got sucked up into the filter.
Anybody know a way around this?

I feel your pain....I have the floating water srite and it does get annoying..I have tried putting them in the corner and they still are drawn toward the filter out flow and down into the water they go and so forth....I am glad you asked this question...hope there is a solution

I feel your pain....I have the floating water srite and it does get annoying..I have tried putting them in the corner and they still are drawn toward the filter out flow and down into the water they go and so forth....I am glad you asked this question...hope there is a solution

Thank you,
I hope somebody on here has fixed this problem.
I was thinking that maybe I could just get a piece of plastic bend it or cut it into a half square and glue it to the tank to surround the water flow so that the plants can't get in the flow. (Tried to make that as clear as possible). But then the filter wouldn't be able to be moved without the plastic barrier, but I guess that is the sacrifice.
What do you think?

I use several pieces of fishing line to form a little fence.

My output flows onto a piece of driftwood and trickles down the side into the water. My floating plants do fine.

You could raise the water level. It may help some.

I like the fishing line idea (use it to corral the plants in a corner).

If you have a hinged glass top with the plastic strip that runs along the back, you probably have some of the plastic strip left over where you cut it to make room for the filter(s). You can take the extra plastic and connect it the the lip of the filter. You may need to use a pair of pliers to compress the connector part so that it grips the filter output lip more securely in case it falls off. The end result is that the water flow is directed along the top and not down. The floating plants may swirl around but at least they won't get pushed down. Here is a pic. Normal the water level is a bit higher but I believe this was just prior to a water change of top off.
szcGBEg.jpg

You could raise the water level. It may help some.

I like the fishing line idea (use it to corral the plants in a corner).

If you have a hinged glass top with the plastic strip that runs along the back, you probably have some of the plastic strip left over where you cut it to make room for the filter(s). You can take the extra plastic and connect it the the lip of the filter. You may need to use a pair of pliers to compress the connector part so that it grips the filter output lip more securely in case it falls off. The end result is that the water flow is directed along the top and not down. The floating plants may swirl around but at least they won't get pushed down. Here is a pic. Normal the water level is a bit higher but I believe this was just prior to a water change of top off.

I got a hinged glass top with the tank but I didn't have to cut anything because it came with a removable piece for the back. But thanks for the idea.
But I think I'm going to do the fishing line idea since I have so much of it.

Back
Top Bottom