floating snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedukeman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me why snails float? They should loose the air pocket and return to the bottom, they have not and all but one is dead.

They are not critical habitat but I hate to see anything die in my tanks.

Thanks.

Snail will float for awhile if playing, but when floating long term it generally indicates poor water quality and that they are trying to float to a better environment.

I may have an issue with water being too soft. I have a water softener that runs through the whole house. all other readings all good! Any recommendations on food supplements for the snails?

Firstly, have you checked your water parameters? Snails are especially sensitive to ammonia. Also, please post the pH of your tank water and tap water.

I have naturally soft water and have always had problems keeping snails alive. The pH in my planted tanks containing driftwood drops to about 6.0 between water changes. The fish don't mind it a bit, but the low mineral content and low pH prevent the snails from building a strong shell. The operculum (the snail's trapdoor) is especially deformed.

Recently, I've had great success keeping snails by removing all driftwood from their tank, keeping plants to a minimum, buffering the water with crushed clamshells, and dosing the tank with 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gal Kent Marine calcium at every water change.

I have a water softener that runs through the whole house.
The water softener is your problem. While it makes the water seem soft to us, in fact it's just replacing the GH with salt which is just as hard for fish and plants. Further the salt just isn't good in those quantities for plants and some fish. Add on top of this that Snails need the Calcium from GH to build their shells and the situation isn't too good for them. Your best bet for your aquarium is to by pass the water softener for your aquarium water.

Back
Top Bottom