floating snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shorty13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three small brown pond snails, and an unknown baby snail. For some reason they have been coming off the wall of the tank and just floating sometimes. From what I have noticed, it has mostly been the baby snail and sometimes one of the brown pond snails. Any answers or advice would be helpful.

My mystery snails often do that. I have also noticed my ramshorn snails doing it. If your water tests are fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and nitrate 20 or lower, than they are just retaining too much air. Sometimes you can pick them up out or the water and tickle them and they will release the air. It is fine to just wait for them to release it on their own. None of mine have died from it. It seems to be pretty common.

It is quite common behaviour. I have even seen them literally walking on the underside of the film of the water tension, which is quite something to see. Thought it was near miraculous at first, but I've seen it often since. Mainly smaller snails, bladder and ramshorns, are able to do it. Larger snails are too heavy.

Even the very big canaliculata snails often float, it's just part of their behaviour.

My baby mts do that too. One time I was looking into the tank, and saw what looked like nls pellets all over the surface. It was panic stations for about 10 seconds till I realized they were in fact snails. I just think the lazy sods are taking a short cut :lol: they choose when they want to either sink to the substrate or wait till they reach glass.

The baby MTS are released right on the water surface by the parent snail, at night. One reason they often end up in filters, and on anything floating, like a plastic bag, for example. They float 'til they find something solid to cling to.

The baby MTS are released right on the water surface by the parent snail, at night. One reason they often end up in filters, and on anything floating, like a plastic bag, for example. They float 'til they find something solid to cling to.

Well there ya go! I just never stop learning here :) (y)

Thanks! I was really worried that they were sick or something! :)

Back
Top Bottom