Flood, how to save the bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. So, I have an issue. My filter sock backed up and overflowed onto my floor causing damage to my hard wood. We had a company in and there is moisture all through the floor.

Now, here is my question. I have to disassemble my tank to move it. It has a 20gal sump and is a 90 gal tank. The fish will live in a cooler for now. But, how do I keep all my bacteria alive as I may not be able to set it up for a week and get it going again. If I was to just run a pump to circulate the water in the sump would that keep the bacteria alive for a week?? Or any suggestions as to how I could keep it going. I have 55 fish and don't have the room to support them long term and would love to not have the tank cycle on me again. A mini cycle I could deal with but not a month like the initial setup cycle took.

What kind of bio media do you have? Can you put it into some nylon hose and put it in the cooler with the fish (with ample circulation, of course)?

Yes I can. I have bio max ceramic that I could throw in. Going to run an air stone as well. What a poop show this is turning out to be. The tank has been going since November and just started to be super stable. Gonna have to start over more or less now. I will post pictures of the devastation of the tank ��

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone running filter socks make sure they will NOT overrun if they clog up. The only fault of my design that I can see now. Can't believe I didn't recognize the possibility this could happen. I was changing the socks every 4 days and they never seemed be be to clogged up. Went out of town for 6 days and boom, proved me wrong...

Wow, that stinks.
How many socks are/were you running? I'm guessing the new design will feature a tilted sock or lip to allow the overflow possible into additional socks. Or simply back in to the main sump compartment. Good luck with this.

Last edited:
Just one sock under the return. And yes, the design will be updated. Just happy my wife didn't blow a gasket over it. Also glad we have insurance.

Here is what I had to do....(sad face)

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 59
We are a week and a half on now. Fish are still living in the cooler and multiple tanks around the house. Just a waiting game now.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know of a Water Sensor that I could purchase that would detect an overflow and TURN OFF the return pump. Hoping something that I could plug the return pump into.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom