Floromax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seachem flourite is not red floramax;) different company..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did I say fluorite no I said Floramax.. I have the bags right here dude.. Its a red floramax.. lol The seachem fluorite looks like big chunks of red clay the size of your finger nail they are much bigger then these peices

Sorry dude I am not trying to be rude.. I know the difference between fluorite and floramax lol.. Look at my pictures again... look at the OP pics of his floramax.. Its the same red stuff I have and Gillie also has the same stuff.. Floramax red are tiny clay shards from the looks of it.. Midnight black floramax is volcanic rock. Perhaps the Volcano Red Floramax is a red volcanic rock.. But my red Floramax looks like clay shards

Also Ecco complete is the EXACT same stuff as floramax. Same company, same exact rocks.. The difference is they are washed, floramax isn't washed.. Eco complete comes from Volcanic Rocks, and Midnight black floramax and Volcano red floramax Is volcanic rock..

If I have too I'll go back to Petsmart and take pics of the fluorite bags and the red floramax bags to show you the difference

Btw on a side note. Gilli your fuzzy algae looks exactly !! like mine.. I just put this Red Floramax in my tank maybe 2-3 weeks ago, and I have the same brown fuzzy crap all over my plants... Before I had regular tan gravel pebbles and my plants enever had aglae except black beard algae.. Then I put the red floramax in my tank and the black beard algae died.. and now I got that brown cotton like algae growing in my tank. Its extremely annoying, grows fast.. and covers everything.. Thankfully it comes off easy by just swirling my hand around a little. Since you and I have the same gravel I wonder if this algae is related ?

img_3197593_0_8ccc8e7880af8e3ce1fa04c6d0e03645.jpg

Also Ecco complete is the EXACT same stuff as floramax. Same company, same exact rocks.. The difference is they are washed, floramax isn't washed.. Eco complete comes from Volcanic Rocks, and Midnight black floramax and Volcano red floramax Is volcanic rock..

In post #9 you mentioned that EC would turn into mush over time. How long are we talking? Years? I've had it for over 2.5 years and it is still pretty solid. I would think volcanic rock would hold up for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was thinking of another substrate I saw that turns into mush.. But I know I am right on the eco complete and floramax.. They are the same exact substrate.. there is nothing different about them

Was thinking of another substrate I saw that turns into mush.. But I know I am right on the eco complete and floramax.. They are the same exact substrate.. there is nothing different about them

I think some of the more expensive soil type of substrates will breakdown. Drawing a blank on the name(s).
The difference between the EC and floramax is the amount of rinsing needed for the latter, most likely from the laterite. I had laterite as a base under fine gravel and it can be a real mess if disturbed.

I seemed to have confused the floramax and flourite, they do look very very similar though, I have the flourite mixed in with sand in one of my tanks. I'm also thinking Eco fine vs. The midnight. At any rate I wouldn't recommend any of it:p except the Eco fine if you can find it.. I'm an aquasoil snob now.. we shall see about the mush factor..

I seemed to have confused the floramax and flourite, they do look very very similar though, I have the flourite mixed in with sand in one of my tanks. I'm also thinking Eco fine vs. The midnight. At any rate I wouldn't recommend any of it:p except the Eco fine if you can find it.. I'm an aquasoil snob now.. we shall see about the mush factor..

I believe your substrate is pelleted volcanic ash, I'm not entirely sure how it's processed, but I'm thinking that it won't mush quite like pelleted soil substrates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the EC fine grain has gone extinct.
You are referring to the Brightwell product, correct? Which tank is it in?
OP - Substrate looks fine in your tank.

I believe your substrate is pelleted volcanic ash, I'm not entirely sure how it's processed, but I'm thinking that it won't mush quite like pelleted soil substrates.

That it is! I can crush them between my finger when the pellets are dry, havnt tried it after they've been wet for a while though.

I think the EC fine grain has gone extinct.
You are referring to the Brightwell product, correct? Which tank is it in?
OP - Substrate looks fine in your tank.

That's to bad.. seemed to be a killer product. Brightwell yes, in my little rimless.

Update
Tank is crystal clear and looking nice!!! Thanks for all the help

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

gILLI, did you see my post ? I have the same Floramax red you have and I also have the same problems with that brown fuzzy algae that looks like clouds of fuzz... Could this be related to this substrate ? I never had it before I used this stuff

gILLI, did you see my post ? I have the same Floramax red you have and I also have the same problems with that brown fuzzy algae that looks like clouds of fuzz... Could this be related to this substrate ? I never had it before I used this stuff

I'm attributing it to the substrate

Yea it has to be, I never had it before this stuff, and if you and me have the exact same stuff.. with the same substrate then that could be tied together.

img_3197889_0_8ccc8e7880af8e3ce1fa04c6d0e03645.jpg

Yea it has to be, I never had it before this stuff, and if you and me have the exact same stuff.. with the same substrate then that could be tied together.

img_3197893_0_8ccc8e7880af8e3ce1fa04c6d0e03645.jpg

That's the same junk. It seems to "grow" from the substrate and gets kicked up by fish or filter, where it drifts until it hangs up on something only to grow more.

So back to floramax sucking hahaha... all set with substrate demons..

I just found out something interesting about the red floramax.. I was cleaning my 3 fish tanks in my bedroom and I started to use my magnetic glass cleaner on my Pentagon that has the red floramax in it.. And when I got the bottom the substrate started sticking to the magnet.. Instead of just shaking the rocks off, I had to pull them off. And when I pulled them off when I held them in my fingers and moved the magnet over them they flew in the air to the magnet

So the Red floamax substrate is magnetic.. Which means it must have some form Iron or some other magnetic metal in it. I guess this is where the iron comes from in floramax lol..

Ive never seen a magnetic substrate before.

I just found out something interesting about the red floramax.. I was cleaning my 3 fish tanks in my bedroom and I started to use my magnetic glass cleaner on my Pentagon that has the red floramax in it.. And when I got the bottom the substrate started sticking to the magnet.. Instead of just shaking the rocks off, I had to pull them off. And when I pulled them off when I held them in my fingers and moved the magnet over them they flew in the air to the magnet

So the Red floamax substrate is magnetic.. Which means it must have some form Iron or some other magnetic metal in it. I guess this is where the iron comes from in floramax lol..

Ive never seen a magnetic substrate before.

Well that's never a bad thing!!! Iron helps plant growth

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Yea, but it makes me wonder what type of metal it is, and if its leaching heavy metals in my water. I have $500 worth of discus in the tank and I wouldn't want them to get sick from heavy metals

Yea, but it makes me wonder what type of metal it is, and if its leaching heavy metals in my water. I have $500 worth of discus in the tank and I wouldn't want them to get sick from heavy metals

They wouldn't sell something that kills your fish.... The company could get in trouble for saying "for aquariums" and ends up killing your fish

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Back
Top Bottom