Floromax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sucks, EcoComplete would be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's all they had and I already purchased it

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Than why ask:p I've used it, it was on sale.. it's a pain to plant, it traps detritus like nothing I've ever used. No redeeming qualities in my opinion.

It sucks, EcoComplete would be better.

I've used EC before and currently use Floramax "midnight" (the black color), and I can honestly not see any difference. The Floramax was mostly dry instead of wet out of the bag, otherwise it appears identical to me.

Anyhow, either one is fine on its own. Just add some osmocote tabs.

I've used EC before and currently use Floramax "midnight" (the black color), and I can honestly not see any difference. The Floramax was mostly dry instead of wet out of the bag, otherwise it appears identical to me.

Anyhow, either one is fine on its own. Just add some osmocote tabs.

I got the brown and black mix!!!! Thank you! Do I need to rinse it off before putting it in my tank. I am doing a full rescape

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Than why ask:p I've used it, it was on sale.. it's a pain to plant, it traps detritus like nothing I've ever used. No redeeming qualities in my opinion.

I was just looking at some older amazon reviews. Some of them mention bad batches, dirtiness, too much fine particulate, oily residue, etc. and it seems like maybe it used to be a different product? I did rinse mine in a bucket beforehand, and it did not seem all that dirty to me. It was a little cloudy when I did my test fill-up on the tank, but the cloudiness was gone by the next day.

I got the brown and black mix!!!! Thank you! Do I need to rinse it off before putting it in my tank. I am doing a full rescape

Rockyofhockey _/.\_
Yes, I recommend rinsing it. I dumped it into a 5 gal bucket, half a bag at a time, and rinsed it with the hose until the water ran mostly clear.

I love floramax.. I use the midnight black for my 27g hexagon, and I use the red kind for my 44g pentagon tank.

Ecco complete turns into mush over time.. and I personally don't like the way those little balls look as a substrate. As for how well floramax works for plants.. The black stuff is just ground up lava rock, the red stuff.. Looks like ground up claypots or something lol. They are both different, so their claims of being a absorbant material for plants to feed on.. Im not too sure about that.

But my 27g hexagon loves the stuff.. Here is a picture of it.. as the black version and the red version.. Also I have no issues planting my plants in it.. I have all kinds of plants, from Amazon swords, to water sprite, to Red ludwigia, telethara cardinalis, Statura repens, and so forth.. The only reason its probably hard to plant for you brookster is you didn't have enough of it..

Its better to make it really thick.. I have it about 3-4 inches deep in my hexagon.. My 44g pentagon its only about 1-2 inches and so yes its harder to plant in that.. They only had 2 bags at the time so I had to work with that.

As for the floramax itself... You need to take ALL you fish out.. Rinse it fairly good Then drain your water all the way down.. and put the substrate in and fill it up carefully The stuff is very very dusty and if you just toss it in a full tank.. your water will be black for like 2 days

img_3197122_0_20e61398f2fd976c7bc05e2153f2a8df.jpg

img_3197122_1_7c0eda25c388f754d149cf7f7aad429b.jpg

img_3197122_2_d5e601610a7fb38b4710cfd71915f95c.jpg

Seachem flourite is not red floramax;) different company..

Very nice!!! Once I rinse it out how do I then put it in my tank? Do I dump it in???

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Seachem flourite is not red floramax;) different company..

From the photo, I think what he has looks like "original" rather than "volcano red" Floramax. Seachem Flourite and Floramax "original" look the same.

It's absolute junk, I've never had issues like the crap that's popping up, when I was using sand and the only thing that has changed in the tank is the substrate. As soon as I can I'm yanking it and going back to sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom