flourish excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello i have flourish excel im not sure how often to dose it thought, i am using it in conjunction with my C02 setup. I am also hoping it will help me get rid of my green water. thank you

tanks size 240 litres 63 us gallons, small c02 setup dosing 24 bubbles a minute, seachem npk (which caused the green water because i used too much, so im holding off it until the green water goes. i have bought a uv sterilizer just waiting for it to arrive.) removing the green water isnt my main aim i just dont know how often to dose the excel or the npk tbh.
my lights are One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
i have been told before these are low light i want high light but i dont know what lights are classed as high lights

I dose it according to the instructions for each tank size (14 planted tanks)

As jeta stated, it will not get rid of the green water, only water changes and finding out why you have it happening then correcting the problem will work.

But, if you start getting algae growth like BBA, thread, or branch sticking to plants and decor, a quick spritz of Excel will kill it off.

I put it in a spray bottle and give my plants/decor a spray when I notice the start of algae growth. It works very well, and can be used with shrimp, snails etc unlike most algae control products.

Here's some links about algae, what causes them and how to fix the problem.

Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Algae control in the aquarium

tanks size 240 litres 63 us gallons, small c02 setup dosing 24 bubbles a minute, seachem npk (which caused the green water because i used too much, so im holding off it until the green water goes. i have bought a uv sterilizer just waiting for it to arrive.) removing the green water isnt my main aim i just dont know how often to dose the excel or the npk tbh.
my lights are One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
i have been told before these are low light i want high light but i dont know what lights are classed as high lights

I'd definitely hold off on the ferts, how much distance is between your substrate and the lights? That'll help determine what level your lighting is at and what kind of fixture you'll need to get in the range you want to be in.
PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Charts

Assuming the tank is relatively tall and you are using only dual t8's then you probably don't want to dose much ferts at all, maybe once a week if that. I don't know the purpose of adding excel if you are already adding co2.

The main thing holding you back now is your lighting, upgrading to some more intense lights will make a world of difference.

it doesn't take expensive lighting, it can be done relatively cheaply. Setting up a medium light planted tank isn't too expensive, grows pretty much any plant, and requires much less balancing/maintenance than a high tech setup.

what are the best medium lights? do you have a link? thank you everybody for your input, reputation for all

what are the best medium lights? do you have a link? thank you everybody for your input, reputation for all
I think that with as much debate as there is out there now on what lighting is best (i.e. what is medium lighting) is personal. I have T5 HO (10K and 6700K) on my 25g tall and can’t keep the long stemmed plants cut back for more than a couple of days at a time. While the 55g has 10K T8 and the few plants that I have in that tank maintain, growing just as fast as the fish eat / tear them up. I have read a lot about the LED’s and that will be the direction that I will head here in the near future. All depends on the money you are willing / wanting to drop.

Back
Top Bottom