flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
peppermjnt said:
i agree the tank is way too small for my fish now, the new one is coming next week Im looking forward to move Maggie in it. but i heard the tank should be cycled for at least one week before I place the fish in it, is that right?

It's good to hear you have a bigger tank on the way. The best thing you can do right now is keep her water as clean as possible. Imo daily water changes would be a good idea. The issue may resolve itself with clean water and a bigger tank. When you move her to her new tank transfer most of her water and her filter. Most of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter. After her, her filter and any decorations are in her new tank keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings for a couple of weeks and do a water change if needed.

Mumma.of.two said:
It's good to hear you have a bigger tank on the way. The best thing you can do right now is keep her water as clean as possible. Imo daily water changes would be a good idea. The issue may resolve itself with clean water and a bigger tank. When you move her to her new tank transfer most of her water and her filter. Most of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter. After her, her filter and any decorations are in her new tank keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings for a couple of weeks and do a water change if needed.

thank you very much! )

Have the new tank cycle
Everytime you do water changes instead of dumping the water out add it to the new tank
All the gravel/ornaments you have in the 15 add them to the new tank as well
If you're getting another filter have it running in the 15 while its still up to have it gain the bb from there
& keep testing the water

how long should I keep it running in the old tank?
Did u see the photos i posted? do u think if its fungus, i shouldn't move the old gravel into a new tank?

Basically transfer everything from the 15 gallon to the new tank with 50% of water from the 15G & everytime you do a pwc add the water to the new tank
The filter should be in the tank for about a week or so to get a good seeding
Do that until you get good water readings but still be cautious
About your FH I'm not really so sure I was thinking ick but might be some fungus? Another member will soon come along to answer what that is

OBEYtheFISH said:
Basically transfer everything from the 15 gallon to the new tank with 50% of water from the 15G & everytime you do a pwc add the water to the new tank
The filter should be in the tank for about a week or so to get a good seeding
Do that until you get good water readings but still be cautious
About your FH I'm not really so sure I was thinking ick but might be some fungus? Another member will soon come along to answer what that is

sure, will do. thank you for some good advice

All you need to do when upgrading tanks is move everything over including the water and filter. Top up the tank with dechlorinated fresh water, acclimatize the fish then add them to the new tank. Run your old filter next to the new filter in the new tank for about a month. Keep an eye on all your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) for a few weeks. No need to over complicate things IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
All you need to do when upgrading tanks is move everything over including the water and filter. Top up the tank with dechlorinated fresh water, acclimatize the fish then add them to the new tank. Run your old filter next to the new filter in the new tank for about a month. Keep an eye on all your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) for a few weeks. No need to over complicate things IMO.

+1
That's 100% true
But I'm one of those ppl that would rather be safe than sorry even tho the tank is basically cycled with the whole transfer

OBEYtheFISH said:
+1
That's 100% true
But I'm one of those ppl that would rather be safe than sorry even tho the tank is basically cycled with the whole transfer

The only BB you will loose if you transfer everything are the BB on the glass of the old tank. Only a very small amount. Up grading like that is just like doing a large water change. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
The only BB you will loose if you transfer everything are the BB on the glass of the old tank. Only a very small amount. Up grading like that is just like doing a large water change. :)

Yes but all my upgrades, IME have been from 20 gallon tanks to 100+gallon tanks & that's a big difference & I need to give the BB some time to colonize

OBEYtheFISH said:
Yes but all my upgrades, IME have been from 20 gallon tanks to 100+gallon tanks & that's a big difference & I need to give the BB some time to colonize

Oh, yes there maybe a small mini cycle but if you move your filter media either into the new filter or the whole old filter itself I don't see a huge problem. Maybe a few of extra PWC for the first week or so. That's what test kits are for. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh, yes there maybe a small mini cycle but if you move your filter media either into the new filter or the whole old filter itself I don't see a huge problem. Maybe a few of extra PWC for the first week or so. That's what test kits are for. :)

Yes exactly ^-^
PWC is important

Back
Top Bottom