flowerhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peppermjnt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys. Im new to fish keeping, I got my flowerhorn around 6 months ago. its i a 15 gallon tank, im getting a bigger tank next week, he grow up quite big for the old one now. a few weeks ago I noticed pink/white cotton-like spots on his fins. got a " speedy heal" which makes water bright green. its been 4 days now and it didnt do anything, also i keep adding a table spoon of salt every time I change 20% of water, as a petshop guy told me it will cure everything. no changes. I start to worry. the fish acts the same, except I think Im stressing it out with that green water. help!! i don't want the disease to spread

:welcome: to AA! :)

How big of a tank? I would say 75-95 gallon minimum, depending on the flowerhorn.

What is your water quality? What are your water parameters as in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Is your tank cycled? How often do you do water changes?

Thanks for ur reply! nitrite and nitrate are 0 , yesterday nitrite was 0.2. i havent checked for ammonia, couldn't find it in the petshops. i ordered it, it should be there next week. the tank is 57 litters. I used to change water once in two weeks, but now that my fish is sick I change 20% every day.

Your pet shop is testing your water? Are they testing it with a liquid test kit or strips? Nitrates are usually never zero unless your tank is super havily planted.

15 gallons is the same as 57 liters so...you're moving it into the same tank??? :confused:

no no, i was gonna buy a test kit for ammonia next week.
weird nitrate showed 0, but my tank has no plants.
yea its my old tank thats 57 litters, the new one will be around 50 gallons, sorry I thought u didnt read it in my first post.

thanks for ur help! so this forum is actually useless, if u can't ask any questions.. i do believe i saw people asking questions here though. well cake care and good luck with ur show off forum that has no point!im out of here

peppermjnt said:
thanks for ur help! so this forum is actually useless, if u can't ask any questions.. i do believe i saw people asking questions here though. well cake care and good luck with ur show off forum that has no point!im out of here

It's not that you can't any questions, he is just simply moving the thread to the appropriate forum. Tht is what moderators and administrators do on the site to prevent clutter. It happens, and over time you start to just know where things go :)

As for your nitrates, is your tank cycled? Knowing your ammonia will also be a determining factor.

peppermjnt said:

LOL!!!

I thought I posted it in the fresh water discussion? where do i ask a question on my problem? ok thanks for the advice on the ammonia. but how do i cure my fish from those white fluffy spots? sorry for being rude, I didn't understand that i posted it in a wrong place. I'm new here and english is obviously not my first language. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. I'm really worried about my fish and no one can help, I called a fish vet but its busy till next week and i don't know how serious the consequences could be if I keep my fish in that state any longer

Hi and welcome. :) could you try and post a picture or two for us? If it's white and fluffy it could be a fungus of some sort. Ich looks like someone has sprinkled little grains of salt on the fish. Unfortunately disease is usually brought on by stress and/or poor water conditions. In this case a tank that is too small.

peppermjnt said:
I thought I posted it in the fresh water discussion? where do i ask a question on my problem? ok thanks for the advice on the ammonia. but how do i cure my fish from those white fluffy spots? sorry for being rude, I didn't understand that i posted it in a wrong place. I'm new here and english is obviously not my first language. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. I'm really worried about my fish and no one can help, I called a fish vet but its busy till next week and i don't know how serious the consequences could be if I keep my fish in that state any longer

Its all good! Now, about your fish. Im thinking its ick also. Does it almost look like grains of salt protruding from the fish's skin? If so, raising the temp slowly over a period of a day or two get the temp to 86 degrees farenheit. Also, a little bit of aquatium salt helps too

Okay it does seem like ich. Ich is caused by stress, and this can happen when the fish is moved, being attacked or doesnt have compatible fish tank mates, or having to live in a small tank, and i saw your pictures so it looks like you have a pretty large flowerhorn in a very small tank. So this is what will need to be fixed first. Also the flowerhorn likes temperatures of 80-85, am i correct about that? If so you could slowly raise your temperatures to 86/87 without harming the fish, and getting rid of ich. If this doesnt work (because it takes a few weeks) buy ich attack, an herbal formula that works in days! Good luck to you and maggie

Thank you for answering guys!! I don't think it ick, I saw photos of it on the internet, it doesn't look similar to that. its more like two sticking out spots pink/white covered with film. only two one millimeter size on one fin and one on the other. ill post a photo now

image-1656024821.jpg

this one is the bigger than the one on the other fin. it looks smaller on the photo

i agree the tank is way too small for my fish now, the new one is coming next week Im looking forward to move Maggie in it. but i heard the tank should be cycled for at least one week before I place the fish in it, is that right?

Back
Top Bottom