Flter changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg5530

Aquarium Advice Regular
SO I have a cycled 20 gallon which had 4 platys, 3mollies 3 guppies and 4 peppered Cory's a couple of days ago It got really cold in the house and th heater could not keep up with it dropping the temp down to about 72-74 regularly maintained at 79. The Cory's did not look good and since then I have lost 3 leaving me with one. The water is pretty foggy, I did a couple of water changes and my levels are 0ammonia .25 nitrites and 20 nitrates, other fish look good, now I'm trying to clear up the water, t has been about 1-2 months since any filter change and they look pretty disgusting should I change the filter? Any suggestions would be helpful.

You don want to change the filters. Simply rinse them in old tank water while doing your water changes. Wait until the filters are literally falling apart in your hands.

As for your parameters you shouldn't be seeing any nitrites or ammonia in a cycled tank. Have you stirred up anything recently? Gravel vac etc?

Have you tested tap water? What type of conditioner are you adding during water change?

Convict2161 said:
You don want to change the filters. Simply rinse them in old tank water while doing your water changes. Wait until the filters are literally falling apart in your hands.

As for your parameters you shouldn't be seeing any nitrites or ammonia in a cycled tank. Have you stirred up anything recently? Gravel vac etc?

Have you tested tap water? What type of conditioner are you adding during water change?

+1 spot on... Listen to him Greg and you'll be on your way :)

Back
Top Bottom