Fluorite Sand and Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sara1114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sooo I added black fluorite sand and rock into my tank and I didn't wash it first....should I take it out and rinse it then put it back again?? I was thinking about putting a layer of just regular black rock from the pet store over top of it, do you think that would help the cloudiness that occurs when you mess with it??

About 2 months late here...so how long did it take to clear up? Did you have to perform additional WCs? Is this in your 75g discus tank? I'm using EcoComplete in my tanks and the plants like it (all that matters) but I don't think it has the color consistency that the fluorite has.

It took about 4 days to clear up and yes it's my 75 gallon discus tank. I now have 6 baby discus in the tank and they are doing great! We did a TON of water changes to help with the cloudiness and honestly, in my option, the fluorite substrate is NOT worth the money. We are switching to regular sand in a couple of months. Here are a couple of pics of my tank :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401636144.603408.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401636187.258052.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401636213.158071.jpg

Good to know.
If you tie the anubias to the DW and only add non substrate type plants, then you can possibly go with a very thin layer of sand when you make the switch. Or you can pot substrate requiring plants and hide the base behind DW or rocks. Less sand can mean less opportunities for debris to get trapped in it.
I will put further posts on you discus thread.

Back
Top Bottom