Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fluval 206 problem

My 206 has started to sound like a popcorn popper. driving me nuts, anyone know whats going on ? i guess it is the impeller, just started doing this. it looks fine but chatters like crazy, very annoying. is there a quick fix for this ?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Any chance of air being stuck in the system? I know mine can be pretty loud after I prime it.
Is the impeller dirty? When was the last time it was cleaned?
I've had my 306 running for a year and a half with no noise at all.
If all else fails I know that you can get replacement impellers that might solve your problem.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I run all Fluval canisters on my tanks and that is the sound it makes when there is too much air is stuck in the canister. You can shake it gently by rocking it a little and also by using the primer button on the top of the lid. You also may not have sealed the lid on properly and that can also happen when the canister is too dirty. You also need to be sure the round ball value in the intake strainer isn't clogged. I clean mine every 4 weeks and always remove the strainer, take it apart and clean, then put it back together and make sure the valve can turn easily before popping it back on.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Awesome you guys jumped right in there. I think i am going to like this forum. alot of people wanting to help out, great. Thanks.. As for the popcorn machine sound it was the impeller. But not because it was bad, It was because my 8 year old son decided to clean my 206 for me because i was busy planning a trip for myself and my twins. Now Paul knows how to clean the 206. he has helped me dozens of times over the years clean our filters. What paul forgot is to put the lid back on the media trays before he put the top back on. When i tore it apart when it started making noise i totally missed that the lid was missing. Believe me i was going nuts trying to figure out what happened. About 3 am this morning as i couldn't sleep i was cruising the web sites and found a blow up of the 206 showing every part. As i am looking at it i see the lid on the media trays. i went back into the other room and sure enough the lid was not there on the table where i had it all tore apart. Sent a quick facebook message to his mom, and sure enough at about 830 am i get one back telling me where paul left the lid. So now it back together again and quietly doing it's work as it always has before. Thanks again guys

Tags
fluval, problem, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com