Fluval AC70

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So how often should I be changing the three filter media's that comprise the filter? I don't really trust the instructions ad I'd rather have people's real experience.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Put a prefilter sponge on the intake and all you have to do is rinse the other media in tank water when it gets gunky . I have not replaced an internal sponge on my Fluval C series in over a year and they are still in like new shape . I don't use carbon , just Matrix bio media and some crushed coral after the sponge inside the filter .

So the black pouch thing that comes with it I should not use? Why is carbon so bad? Can you link me to an example of what you mean on the sponge?

So should I take them out? Will the carbon go bad if I leave it in there?

Okay thanks I know what to look for now.

So should I take them out? Will the carbon go bad if I leave it in there?

Carbon won't "go bad," but it will become useless as chemical filtration in 2-4 weeks. (It will still function as minor biological filtration, but that doesn't justif the expense, IMHO.)

I like using carbon, myself, but I've switched to Purigen to accomplish the same tasks with a longer time between switch-outs.

I don't think you'll suffer at all by using the carbon included with the Aquaclear, you just don't need to buy more of it.

Would I be better off just taking it out and saving it for a rainy day incase my guy(s) get sick?

Back
Top Bottom