Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluval Ammonia Remover vs Puragen

Went to LFS to get some Puragen which they didn't have. I see on line it looks like a fine granular material and I see in here some folks using in similar fashion to carbon.

I see ammonia remover which is described by Fluval as an ammonia remover, and wondered if this is basically the same thing. The thing that is confusing to me, is I heard of bleaching the puragen as a restoration step up to 6 times or so reading in here.

Are these the same? I am trying to resolve a cloudy tank that has been running for 13 weeks or so. Cycled as far as I can tell, but cloudiness persist. Cycled I say as it initially had ammonia, no nitrites, then eventually nitrates after a couple weeks. Then nitrates went down. I have to get a nitrate test kit, but ammonia is zero has been for quite some time, nitrites are .25ppm, and pH is about 6.8.

I have had the ammonia remover for awhile, but didn't know how it would help, and if it's the right thing, as I think this is a need to filter fine material, and understood that's what the Puragen does.

Tank is 37gal, and has 1 goldfish in it (about 5-6"). Filter is a Fluval/Aquaclear 70, 300gph.

Kevin

Tags
age, ammonia, fluval, move, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com