fluval chi for a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leftysav

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone seen these? They have a 5g and a 6.5g I believe and it has a cascading water feature on top. Would this be ok to keep a betta in?

What would be some options for this small setup? I really like the idea of having something in my office like this.

Leftysav said:
Anyone seen these? They have a 5g and a 6.5g I believe and it has a cascading water feature on top. Would this be ok to keep a betta in?

What would be some options for this small setup? I really like the idea of having something in my office like this.

That would be awesome to keep a Betta in. If not a Betta, you could do a shrimp tank. Or some nano fish like a badis, or a small school of some type of nano fish

Ditto to everything George9 said. These are great for bettas! You would just need to watch the water level or rig a type of lid because bettas can very easily jump out of uncovered tanks.

Alot of people on this forum have fluval chi's and because of a small water flow they are perfect for bettas and shrimp.

My co-worker just got one of these. He has a betta and a mystery snail in his. It has worked good for his fish so far and looks great!

With these tanks it's a hit or miss. Some bettas are jumpers and would escape.

Hi there,

I have a fluval chi with a betta in and have had it for over a year now, but not without problems. I will let you know the issues that i had and the lessons i learned as i was new to this. The people on here are great for answering any questions you have no matter how simple they may appear.
1. The LFS gave me just a 25w heater which i couldnt regulate and it wasnt good enough for a chi, temp never got up above 24 degres. I live in the UK so the weather is not that good. I changed it to a fluval 50w heater with a temperature display and now its at a steady 27 and my betta is much happier.
2. Due to the low temp and only doing pwc every week (i know much better now and have learned my lessons) my got sick. He got swim bladder disease, all better now thanks to the help i received from here.
3. Change 10 - 15% of the water every 2 days and your fish will thrive, keep it warm and he will thank you for it by interracting with you a lot.
4. I feed him the Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets and he loves them.
The fluval chi's are a very good looking tank to house your fish and with the right care you and the fish will love it. I cycled the tank for a few weeks and had no issues in acclimating him.
In a nutshell, keep him warm and PWC, PWC, PWC, PWC every couple of days :lol: and all will be well.
Any questions i will be happy to share what i have learned on here. Hope this helps. Enjoy your fluval and fish.

With these tanks it's a hit or miss. Some bettas are jumpers and would escape.

You can buy a lid to stop any jumping ............... My betta has never jumped out even before i added the lid. The lid will help keep the temperature higher, stop the water evapourating so quickly and provides a layer of humid air above the water that the Betta's love. The lid cost me £5 British pounds and was worth every penny.

I've got one with a betta in it, only problem so far is it evaporates enough water in a day or two to make the filter start going crazy! Make sure to keep topping it off if you see the level get too low or you can burn up the motor... I love mine though!

Attachments

• image-2993763706.jpg
    image-2993763706.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,814
Billbug68 said:
I've got one with a betta in it, only problem so far is it evaporates enough water in a day or two to make the filter start going crazy! Make sure to keep topping it off if you see the level get too low or you can burn up the motor... I love mine though!

Wow mate that's a lot of evaporation! Where do you live? I have a lid and it helps a lot even in a cold uk climate.

philscfc said:
Wow mate that's a lot of evaporation! Where do you live? I have a lid and it helps a lot even in a cold uk climate.

Southern California... It's in our bedroom, it gets pretty hot in there so I usually have the ceiling fan on all day, I think that's why.

Southern California... It's in our bedroom, it gets pretty hot in there so I usually have the ceiling fan on all day, I think that's why.

Lucky you, yeah I can imagine that your weather in Southern California is a little better than here in the UK :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom