Fluval ebi project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I made my introduction on here, now time for the project. I am new to the fish game and have a 15 gallon community tank already setup( pics on my introduction thread) and now I'm starting a shrimp tank. Received my fluval ebi tank today which is 7.9 gallon nano tank, not opened yet but soon as I opened I'll let you all know what it comes with and how I rate it all.

I'll be adding pics as I go along but my whole idea for the tank is a tree aquascape using Sumatran bogwood and various mosses. Hoping all goes to plan but either way my success or failure will be on here and hoping you guys will help me where I'm going wrong :)

Well this is the setup and so far impressed, everything come with it, 11w light, filter, mat, substrate even water conditioners and shrimp food. Light looks nice and bright, just gotta wait for my Perspex to arrive so I can silicone the bogwood on before I fill it.

Attachments

• image-1909343585.jpg
    image-1909343585.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2818946593.jpg
    image-2818946593.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 149
  • image-2361881924.jpg
    image-2361881924.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-78024643.jpg
    image-78024643.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 150
What mosses would be the best to make an aquascape tree and best plant/moss for a 'carpet' effect? Cheers guys

Also how is best to create a tree look? Heard that tying moss to the wood works but how and are there easier ways as I'm all thumbs! Lol

Got the wood today as you can see in the first pic and my Perspex, what I done was cut the bottom off and re attached it to the main part to create a bigger tree effect.

Attachments

• image-563088956.jpg
    image-563088956.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 150
  • image-4035436541.jpg
    image-4035436541.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 135
Siliconed the wood together and onto the Perspex, just waiting for my moss mesh now :)

Attachments

• image-672275966.jpg
    image-672275966.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 115
I see a lot of people using java moss, of course, but I also hear a lot of good things about christmas moss. Haven't tried the latter myself... But it looks cool. You can tie the moss to the tree with fishing line or sewing thread, or even use a hairnet.

I just got mine. I may just be weird, but I thought it was odd to get a "kit" without instructions. I know there is the shrimp care guide, but no overall instructions? Some of the questions that come to mind are pretty generic, like do I put the filter in and then add the water or the other way around or does it matter? Is there a suggested place for the thermometer? Things like that. Heck, there is even a mat for underneath the thing and I wasn't sure if that was something that went inside or outside the tank.

Just struck me as odd and frankly a little disappointing.

danicox said:
I just got mine. I may just be weird, but I thought it was odd to get a "kit" without instructions. I know there is the shrimp care guide, but no overall instructions? Some of the questions that come to mind are pretty generic, like do I put the filter in and then add the water or the other way around or does it matter? Is there a suggested place for the thermometer? Things like that. Heck, there is even a mat for underneath the thing and I wasn't sure if that was something that went inside or outside the tank.

Just struck me as odd and frankly a little disappointing.

Yea I found that but if any help the mat is a condensing mat that goes under the tank, wash the tank substrate, place in tank, then put the thermometer at the front of the tank so you can see the temp easily.
Install the light onto the tank
Then add the filter and water with all treatments with any decor and switch it all on. Leave to cycle for a few weeks minimum then add your shrimp. Basic help but it will get you up and running

"fish are friends, not food"

M1cky69 said:
Well this is the setup and so far impressed, everything come with it, 11w light, filter, mat, substrate even water conditioners and shrimp food. Light looks nice and bright, just gotta wait for my Perspex to arrive so I can silicone the bogwood on before I fill it.

I'm sold!

GF is going pick it up this evening at LFS and the $10 dollars extra to avoid hassles with shipping a glass aquarium is worth it :).

Did you find a heater that fits? Info would be great.

Thanks again for the assist!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Yea the fluval edge heater is a compact 25 w heater preset to 26 degrees Celsius so you don't need to worry bout changing the temp, but if you want one that you can control then the fluval e 50w will do just as good but with more advanced control

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm sold!

GF is going pick it up this evening at LFS and the $10 dollars extra to avoid hassles with shipping a glass aquarium is worth it :).

Did you find a heater that fits? Info would be great.

Thanks again for the assist!

Oh and let us see some pics if poss too :)

M1cky69 said:
Yea the fluval edge heater is a compact 25 w heater preset to 26 degrees Celsius so you don't need to worry bout changing the temp, but if you want one that you can control then the fluval e 50w will do just as good but with more advanced control

Great info, thanks!

I want control of temp, but is a 50w heater to much for a 8g tank?

I would really not recommend the Edge heater. While researching for setting up my Edge all I read is that it's a piece of poop, like those Stealth heaters.

I love Fluval tanks though. I'm looking forward to this build.

Edit: Mr. Limpet called me out! :popcorn:

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
I would really not recommend the Edge heater. While researching for setting up my Edge all I read is that it's a piece of poop, like those Stealth heaters.

I love Fluval tanks though. I'm looking forward to this build.

Good to know, thanks Jena.

Where's your popcorn? :D. (App doesn't do that :( maybe next update)

EBI is on its way home :D. Such a cool looking set up.

The guy at the LFS recommended the Elite submersible 10, 50w heater. Any info/feedback would be great since I've never heard of it.

Mr. Limpet said:
EBI is on its way home :D. Such a cool looking set up.

The guy at the LFS recommended the Elite submersible 10, 50w heater. Any info/feedback would be great since I've never heard of it.

I have actually got the elite setup in my 15 gallon community tank it's made by the same people as the fluval which is Hagen!

It's a pretty good heater, so far no problems.... Never thought of that heater till now lol. 50w is not too powerful as it is controlled by the thermostat which has an auto cut off when it gets to the set temperature.

M1cky69 said:
I have actually got the elite setup in my 15 gallon community tank it's made by the same people as the fluval which is Hagen!

It's a pretty good heater, so far no problems.... Never thought of that heater till now lol. 50w is not too powerful as it is controlled by the thermostat which has an auto cut off when it gets to the set temperature.

Glad that someone knows it lol. It's adjustable right? That's what I don't get about the auto cut off.

Looks kinda funky with the bulbious top though and not sure it's sized (dimensions) for a small tank :p.

Mr. Limpet said:
Glad that someone knows it lol. It's adjustable right? That's what I don't get about the auto cut off.

Looks kinda funky with the bulbious top though and not sure it's sized (dimensions) for a small tank :p.

Well you set the temperature you desire, then it basically heats the water up to that point, when it reaches the temp you set it cuts off. Then when the water cools it kicks back in. It will fit in the tank as my tank is the same height and it fits snug I'll add a pic. I just ordered another for mine lol. :p as u can see in the pic there is a 2 inch gap from the substrate

Attachments

• image-3960432579.jpg
    image-3960432579.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 101
M1cky69 said:
Well you set the temperature you desire, then it basically heats the water up to that point, when it reaches the temp you set it cuts off. Then when the water cools it kicks back in. It will fit in the tank as my tank is the same height and it fits snug I'll add a pic. I just ordered another for mine lol. :p as u can see in the pic there is a 2 inch gap from the substrate

I guess they just wanted to promote the auto cut off, since that's what most heaters do lol.

Thanks for the pic, as it shows me that the bulbous does look kinda funky. In a big tank, it wouldn't stand out so much I guess, but in an 8g I'm afraid it would.

How's the moss tree going? We're waiting lol.

Thanks again!

Mr. Limpet said:
I guess they just wanted to promote the auto cut off, since that's what most heaters do lol.

Thanks for the pic, as it shows me that the bulbous does look kinda funky. In a big tank, it wouldn't stand out so much I guess, but in an 8g I'm afraid it would.

How's the moss tree going? We're waiting lol.

Thanks again!

Haha yer I'm waiting till Friday till I get me money then I'll order the moss, don't think it would stand out as the ebi is exactly half the width of my community tank, the height and depth are the same. I won my elite heater on eBay last night for £6 :)

Back
Top Bottom