Fluval Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed that the water level in a few of the pics is about 1" below the "top". I have been looking at purchasing this but one of the chief complaints that i read about was that water needed to be removed prior to any maintenance (if the water was all the way to the top, displacement would cause water to spill out of the tank). I did not think of lowering the water level, however, I also thought it was not a lot of surface area if filled all the way to the top.

Some of that is from evaporation, and some is intentional. With the betta fish and the 2 hatchets, they like to be at the surface. The Betta to "gasp" some air, and the hatchets to keep them from trying to jump out. They also are physically designed to eat from the surface of the water with having their mouths upturned.

I saw this in a LFS yesterday and my wife commented on how nice it looked (she also wanted me to get the Sandy the Squirrel figurine from the SpongeBob Squarepants series) so I searched for reviews. Never thought of dropping the water level.
With such a small opening, what is maintenance like? How easy is it to catch fish? I am thinking about shrimp and live plants if I get one. Are the lights sufficient for low light plants (miss, Anubis, java fern, etc)?

I saw this in a LFS yesterday and my wife commented on how nice it looked (she also wanted me to get the Sandy the Squirrel figurine from the SpongeBob Squarepants series) so I searched for reviews. Never thought of dropping the water level.
With such a small opening, what is maintenance like? How easy is it to catch fish? I am thinking about shrimp and live plants if I get one. Are the lights sufficient for low light plants (miss, Anubis, java fern, etc)?

Haven't tried to catch any fish yet. As for cleaning, I'll let you know tomorrow :). There is no problem using a small siphon though. If your going to put drift wood in it, measure both. I had to trim one of "legs" a little to get it in. It took some wiggling to get it in there.

We do 50% WC's in our 6g Edge's every week and it's not hard. What is hard is planting on the sides since you have to contort your arm around. My adult daughter had to catch a fish out and used a 3 ounce dixie cup... really. You couldn't use a net unless you got a small one and remove most of the handle and then you'd still have to chase by hand holding the net. The 12g Edge is easier because it has a larger openning.

Back
Top Bottom