Fluval edge cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Morin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a fluval edge 6 gallon yesterday and started it. Yesterday the water was crystal clear but since then the water has just became cloudy. I only have gravel inside the tank right now. The filter is working and the heater because im ginna put tropical fish. Any help thxs

Hi
Welcome to AA.

You could do a 50% water change, it might be sediment from the sand getting kicked up. If it doesn't start to clear you could be having a bacterial bloom.

Is your filter flow up all the way? I think that would be moving the intake tube slightly left.

Did you rinse your gravel, and is it a brand from the store?

Did you add any dechlorinator stuff, or bottled starter or anything?

What type of fish stock are you thinking of?

Thxs alot. Im gonna change 50% of the water like you said and yes i did wash the sand and yes i did buy it from petsmart. I also put some liquids inside the water to make it safe for the upcomming fish. In my 6 gallon tank, im thinking of putting 3 ghost shrimp, 3 danio glofish, 3 male guppys and maybe a dwarf gourami.

Same thing happened to me with my 5 gallon, but it went away after 2 days. I did the 50% water changes as well.

Thxs alot. Im gonna change 50% of the water like you said and yes i did wash the sand and yes i did buy it from petsmart. I also put some liquids inside the water to make it safe for the upcomming fish. In my 6 gallon tank, im thinking of putting 3 ghost shrimp, 3 danio glofish, 3 male guppys and maybe a dwarf gourami.

It's probably from the sand; even if you rinse it well it tends to turn the water cloudy at first. IT should settle. That's also a lot of fish for a 6 gal; glofish are very active and a minimum of 20 gals is preferred for them plus they need a school of at least 6. You also might want to read up on cycling before you get fish (letting the tank run empty doesn't cycle it). This guide should help: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thxs. Thats what i thought too. What kind of fish would you recommend for my tank.

Already PM'd you about your other ?'s.

Here is a pic

60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg
[/IMG]

I know this is a bad pic but they are difficult to snap with a old camera phone! lol
60074-albums9764-picture37591.jpg
[/IMG]

60074-albums9764-picture37587.jpg

My favorite red Ramshorn.

60074-albums9764-picture37580.jpg

and here is an orange shrimp I used to have.

60074-albums9764-picture36790.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the other PM conversation...

["You are willing to do a fish in cycle? Did you read up on the link from Library Girl?

You need to have the time to do water checks daily and sometimes more frequently, with the necessary water changes too.

The stocking depends on the adult size of your fish and if you plan to add any other types of fish.

One other POSSIBLE option and I say possible as I haven't kept these myself and you could possibly get a pair of them and maybe they would spawn too. They have special food which they like, and may not always want dried normal fish food, but maybe frozen "fresh".

Also a possibility for another tank mate might be a CPO, Cambarellus Patzcuarensis (var. orange ) Origin: Mexico I will try and post a pic of mine on your thread.
---End Quote---
Yes i did read the link, it was very helpfull. Yes i would like to add other kinds of fish but i dont want to over stock and have to deal with alot of algae and a unclean tank. Any types of small fish out there like the rasboras that would make a good fit for my aquarium. Also keep in mind i would like to stock my aquarium with a couple of ghost shrimp if possible. Once again thxs for all the help. "]

Shrimp will need to be last, after the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate spikes and stuff are over, so a while...

Any of the fish I PM'd you with last night will be good, just find out if they are available near you, look at them in person, find out if they are likely to be very sensitive to fish in cycling or very hardy. Let us know which ones you are considering and get input, and make your selection!

A Nerite snail will clean, if you don't want babies, but as you can see from the pic of the awesome Red Ramshorn, they can be pretty gorgeous and make extras!

You can help avoid algae by not over feeding, and also by not leaving the light on for too long at a time something like 4 hours, off a couple hours then on again for 4-6 hours. Not have it in direct sunlight.

Thxs i will look into that. Im going to my local petsmart to go look at some rasboras and tetras to make my selection. Thanks alot :)

My aquarium right now :) 5 days its been running do you guys think i can get some fish now.

Attachments

• image-3129276386.jpg
    image-3129276386.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 91
Do you have a test kit and are you ready to test every day to keep the little guys from getting toxic water? Ammonia burns, gill damage and Nitrate poisoning. These are things the little guys can get tortured with if not taken care of.

What fish did you think you would like to try? Did you put a couple flakes of food in yet? A tiny bit of raw shrimp for ammonia to jump start the cycle.

It will take longer to build up beneficial bacteria (BB) so probably more than 4 weeks of water monitoring. Do you have anyone who has a cycled tank and can give you a chunk of "seeded" (with BB) for your filter?

Im thinking of putting some tetras and or danios. I do not have a test kit but i will be bringing my water to my local petsamrt to test it if okay. And no i dont have anybody to give me some BB because i just moved in to the US from canada so i havent met anyone with an aquarium.

I did not put a couple of flakes into my tank yet. Why should i put some.

To create ammonia, same as raw shrimp, to feed BB so it grows to make enough for processing the fish waste (ammonia), converting it to Nitrite and then Nitrate. So the fish don't suffer. The process is pretty straight forward, but gets more complicated when you add fish.

Just in case you did use a raw shrimp, you would need only tiny bit, like 2-3mm piece. (keep in freezer) just saying since sometimes people put in a very large shrimp, which would be overkill.

You wouldn't need it if you had a fish making the ammonia. But again ammonia in high amounts will harm fish.

I added 3 white clouds. They look like they are doing just fine.

Attachments

• image-4021209077.jpg
    image-4021209077.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 53
Other pic

Attachments

• image-4188994486.jpg
    image-4188994486.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image-4045128964.jpg
    image-4045128964.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 63