Fluval Edge stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the 6g fluval edge sitting in my attic since they 1st came out, it was a gift and I was going to use it for a HM Betta but I don't like the idea of no air gap for them ( even tho the box clearly says they can go in there -_-' ) but I have been seeing a few really nice looking shrimp tanks on YouTube and I am thinking about having a heavily planted tiger shrimp tank for my office. but I was wondering if I could add a small shoal of something like mosquito rasbora or something similar? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Have you kept Shrimp before? Cardina species like Tigers can be a lil finicky to keep. Neocardina on the other hand, can be more forgiving.

You could get a few Boraras Brigittae in there but personally I love to keep Shrimp on their own. Planted tanks with Shrimp everywhere? Can't be beat.

Ok thanks for the advice, I have kept armano and bamboo shrimp in a community tank and had no problems at all but I got some tigers and loved them but they was eaten within a week :( the pet store blamed my pleco but I think it was my Betta. How are they more difficult? More sensitive to water quality?

Shane87 said:
Ok thanks for the advice, I have kept armano and bamboo shrimp in a community tank and had no problems at all but I got some tigers and loved them but they was eaten within a week :( the pet store blamed my pleco but I think it was my Betta. How are they more difficult? More sensitive to water quality?

Cardina enjoy more pristine water. So yes, in general they are more sensitive to water quality. It kids stinks because Cardina have the reeeeally pretty Shrimp.

Severum Mama was selling Mandarin Shrimp last I check. They are a nice bright orange Neocardina species.

If you stay on top of your stuff, Cardinas shouldn't be overly difficult to keep. I do blame your Betta tho haha. Shrimps ca be hard for them to resist.

Also. You can keep an Amano Shrimp with some of the Neocardina or Cardina. It makes for an interesting change.

Ok thank you :) and yea I found that out when it was to late lol and wouldn't amano's get a little big? The ones in my community tank got huge!

Compared to the tiny Shrimp like Red Cherries yes but one will do just fine in a 6g. They get a max of like 2 in. Also, forgot to mention. Don't mix Neocaridina species with other Neocaridina. Same for Caridina on Caridina. They will interbreed and revert to wild colors. Which in most cases is just a brown. You can keep Neocaridina with Caridina though with no worries.

Ok ty for all the advice you have given me a lot to think about :)

Back
Top Bottom