Fluval fx5 ejecting white dusty particles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have a 125 gallon African cichlid tank with a fluval fx5 running. I set it up 2 months ago with fresh new filter media and it has run great. The last couple days, however I've noticed that the fx5 will release white dusty particles from the output nozzle. There are lots of these white particles spraying out and it looks like its snowing inside the tank. This spraying will go off and on.

Does anyone know what this is and if it's bad and how to fix it?

Thanks

Maybe bubbles? Maybe ceramic bio stuff breaking down? Have you cleaned the filter recently?

Matman1110 said:
Hi,
I have a 125 gallon African cichlid tank with a fluval fx5 running. I set it up 2 months ago with fresh new filter media and it has run great. The last couple days, however I've noticed that the fx5 will release white dusty particles from the output nozzle. There are lots of these white particles spraying out and it looks like its snowing inside the tank. This spraying will go off and on.

Does anyone know what this is and if it's bad and how to fix it?

Thanks

Will be crust that builds in the pipes and hoses. I experienced the same, nothing to worry. But if bothers you, you can always clean the inside of the pipes and hoses with a flexible brush during your next PWC. If you do this like once every two months, you will be able to reduce it.

My FX5 has only been running two months. I have not seen this snow yet. I'll watch for it.
I really like how the FX5 shuts itself off and restarts a minute later to purge the air from the system.
The only issue I have had was my mechanical filter pad turning into a wad of slime and slowing the flow rate.
Tore the round pad into a few smaller pieces that would enable a bit more flow, problem solved (I hope).

Let us know what happens.
I'll share my own experience on this thread if it happens to me in the next month since our FX5 filters are about the same age!

Back
Top Bottom