Fluval Nano LED Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skrapeNKA

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a quick update here, tried to reply to older post but it's too old:lol:

Been running this fixture for a few months now and it seems to be performing admirably. I've had to dial the brightness down quite a bit after having an algae explosion [and I'm currently tangling with a bad cyano problem so I won't post any pictures; that's probably more my fault of having terrible flow than anything]. The staurygen repens I planted seem to be doing well in addition to the Temple Plant [hygro. corymbosa, I think? Bought it in a tube from PetSmart] and Narrow Leaf Rotala [not 100% on the specific species, it's taking a reddish hue on the leaves closer to the light]. Using a few supplements; Flourish, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Iron, and the occasional dose of Excel.

The built-in timer has been working great [haven't lost power, YMMV on unstable grids]. One of my favourite features is that you can specify the ramp up and down times on the light, so I can increase/decrease from zero to my set maximum / max to zero over a course of minutes or hours. The ability to set super long ramp times is a big plus for me, as the light kicking on doesn't terrify my pygmy gouramis or the random cherry shrimp I dump into it.

The app that you need to control it has been stable and relatively simple to use, though the multiple photo period feature people have been asking for still hasn't been added [Fluval claims to be working on this still]. I personally haven't run a tank with multiple photo periods, though I understand why people would want that feature having done some reading on it.

It might not be the absolute best fixture available, but it seems to be FAR from the worst after having some time for my tank to settle in. I still feel like it's a very good fixture for the price and I'd probably purchase another one if I set an additional nano-tank up.

If I can beat this cyano I'll put some pictures up eventually:rolleyes:

PS- any hot cyano tips welcome

Back
Top Bottom