Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fluval Peat Granular, DIY C02, New Panda Cories...

1) Since adopting 4 panda corydoras in late April, only one of those four still lives to move the tail; today; 7/12/04, my tank is now home to 5 more... as soon as they get out of the bag. I REFUSE to buy four. Seems that number of panda cories is bad luck. Wish I could tag or dye-mark the original P.C. We shall see, we shall see.

2) Am trying to get near chemical free: just purchased Fluval Granular Peat and little mesh cloth bags to lower pH (have many species of tetra)...directions on peat say nothing about how many granules...bags are about 1.5" x 1.5"

3) Am having algae problemas...have live plants...am going to attempt C02 thingy...just got sealant for yet-to-be-made tube-in-a-bottle...

I welcome any input...I will report on any findings...this is me inching up to the next level o' fishtheologicalness

...or this is me in the midst of a manic episode...

stay tuned

Old 07-13-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Between the peat and the CO2, the pH will come down. You may want to do one at a time.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

C02 lowers pH, too? Geez, this is already making me tired...

Anyone have a clue as to how many peat granules go into the mesh bag that will go into my filter?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Honestly, I would just fill the little baggy and put it in. The change won't happen over night and you can monitor the tank's progress and make necessary adjustments.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have never used peat, but do the granules expand after being wet? You might allow for that and see if they do the first time 'round. If you just simply want to lower pH then peat is an excellent thing to try.

If you are trying to combat algae in a tank with lighting over 2.5wpg then definitely CO2 will help the plants utilize the nutrients and theoretically starve the algae for food, and lower pH as well. Like I alway say, before starting CO2 check your KH out of the tap, in the tank, and then monitor it and pH very closely. KH should be at least 4 degrees to keep the pH stable. Nothing like more issues to deal with, huh?

If you drill a hole 11/64ths then you won't need any sealant in the cap, if you are doing the soda bottle DIY CO2. Just cut the airline tube at an extreme angle and poke it through the hole, then grasp with pliers to get it all the way through.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cories, diy, eat, fluval, panda, peat, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com