Fluval spec 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carnifex

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i just picked up one of these for my betta. A lot of people online said that even on the lowest setting the pump was too strong. Well, imo, it's not. My betta is having no problem just floating around. The intake is not pulling him in, and the return is not pushing him away. Maybe it's because i put the old filter cartridge near the top of the intake but i don't think that would restrict the flow. If you have one of these post your experience here. Here's a pic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389042664.239648.jpg
On a side note, what lowlight plants could i put in here?

Its got a small footprint. Maybe a crypt and some moneywort would look nice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not familiar with what type of light comes on this particular tank. Is it an led?

Yes, it's an led. 31watts at 7500k.

I also decided to put a ball valve in. Not that it was too much flow, but the betta kept resting against the intake-_- He could swim away just fine and would just float next to it without touching it, but i didn't want him to get hurt if he 'fell asleep' lol So i restricted the flow(not fun) so there is enough to keep some movement but not enough to hold him up heheh. I also got him a tall plant(fake) that rests just beneath the surface for him to 'nap' on.

Its got a small footprint. Maybe a crypt and some moneywort would look nice.

Thanks! Do you think wisteria(spelling?lol) would work too? I haven't decided yet.

Wisteria would work but youd have to keep it trimmed it took over my 5 gallon betta tank fairly quickly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree that wisteria would be ok. I have that stuff in a variety of tanks with a variety of lights, and it grows great in all of them. I think the betta would rest against the intake less if he had other tings to rest on.
Hornwort would be another option. It grows well, but isn't too wide.

I got some tall fake plants for him to rest on until my wisteria in my other tank grows a bit. I might look into acquiring some hornwort but nobody has it locally >_<. Thanks all!!!

Back
Top Bottom