Fluval Spec Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxwellag said:
One puffer wasn't eating, was inactive and looked stressed, so I tested the water. Apparently when I cleaned the media yesterday I washed away too much BB. I caused a mini cycle. 2 ppm of ammonia! Yikes! I did a 90% WC and threw in some more established media from my 5g. Hopefully it re-cycles soon!

Wow. That reallllly stinks :/ sorry to hear that. I almost never clean my filters. All the gunk breaks down and I keep my water clean enough that not toooooo much goes in. But unfortunately you didnt have plants yet, right?

Wow. That reallllly stinks :/ sorry to hear that. I almost never clean my filters. All the gunk breaks down and I keep my water clean enough that not toooooo much goes in. But unfortunately you didnt have plants yet, right?

I had some marsilea minuta in there, but it wasn't growing very fast. The LEDs don't seem to be enough light to grow many plants.

maxwellag said:
I had some marsilea minuta in there, but it wasn't growing very fast. The LEDs don't seem to be enough light to grow many plants.

(Marsilea Minuta doesn't grow very fast in general lol)

But I've been grappling with this issue too.

My Blyxa japonica is wilting slowly. I'm not sure what to do about it since I can't get a new light for a while.

I think we should look into fluvals other light. The 13 Watt one for the Ebi.

MABJ said:
(Marsilea Minuta doesn't grow very fast in general lol)

But I've been grappling with this issue too.

My Blyxa japonica is wilting slowly. I'm not sure what to do about it since I can't get a new light for a while.

I think we should look into fluvals other light. The 13 Watt one for the Ebi.

Yeah, lol marsilea is not very fun. I have been considering the other Fluval light, but I figured I would get something even better:
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_74&products_id=451
I have the 27 watt version of it on my 5g and it is awesome. It has better reflectors than the Fluval light, fits the tank better. It would up the Spec to high lighting. It's cheaper than the Fluval light, too. My only concern is that it might be better to take off the lid it comes with because lots of light would reflect off of it.

maxwellag said:
I have the 27 watt version of it on my 5g and it is awesome. It has better reflectors than the Fluval light, fits the tank better. It would up the Spec to high lighting. It's cheaper than the Fluval light, too. My only concern is that it might be better to take off the lid it comes with because lots of light would reflect off of it.

that's the issue. Is these other lights may require taking off the top. But I like that the spec has a top. Hmmmm what to do.

I think I'll just use a spare architect lamp and cfl that I have. It's a 13w 6,500k bulb.

I found out that I might not ever get the 10g I thought was on the way, so I made a hard decision. I took one puffer back to the LFS. I miss him/her, and I think the other puffer does too. Well, at least there won't be any aggression now. I was cleaning the tank today and noticed that the HC was doing well and had new stems sprouted. I would've taken a picture and posted it, but a MTS decided to burrow under it and make it float. I had to fix it but now it doesn't look as happy because it is more spread out.

Bummer about the 10g. Glad to hear some HC is spreading though. Did you switch to the light you were just talking about 2 posts up?

Bummer about the 10g. Glad to hear some HC is spreading though. Did you switch to the light you were just talking about 2 posts up?

Not yet because I'm using it to try to grow some HC emersed. I used to have it on this tank and it made too warm. It was like 82 whenever I had it on there, and that was in the spring. I could always out it a few inched above the tank I guess...

I took out the marsilea and put in some microswords sword and hydrocotyle tripartita. I am putting my new lighting plan into action, so I decided to have more plants that aren't low light.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120610_132515.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120610_132515.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 51
I have some sad news. :( The other puffer is dead. My mom told me that he died while I was on vacation. Since I am still not home, I have no way to know what really happened. I am thinking that it was caused by over feeding, which led to water quality issues. Knowing my mom, she would never under feed. For now I am going to focus on the plants until I get some CRS. I am hoping they will breed, but I'm not counting on it.

I know this is months later, but sorry for the loss Max.

Did you end up purchasing another? They seem interesting to me, I have never heard of them before!

I know this is months later, but sorry for the loss Max.

Did you end up purchasing another? They seem interesting to me, I have never heard of them before!

I tore the tank down after the 2nd died. I decided that I would wait and turn it into an iwagumi type aquascape. I don't think I will get another dwarf puffer- they were too messy eaters. I think I will get pygmy sunfish or some kind of killifish.

Back
Top Bottom