Fluval Spec Nano Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered a 2g spec yesterday, and it arrives tomorrow. I am going to see what plants I can grow with its LEDs. It is a shallow tank, so I am hoping it will be able to grow dwarf baby tears. I won't be able to set it up until next Wednesday, though.

Mr.Albiman said:
Awesome, love to see how it turns out. :)
What inverts are you gonna stock? :)
:fish2:

I am not going to stock inverts, I was thinking baby dwarf puffers. I have a 10 gallon that I am going to set up soon that I can use as a grow out tank, if they ever get that big.

I ordered a 2g spec yesterday, and it arrives tomorrow. I am going to see what plants I can grow with its LEDs. It is a shallow tank, so I am hoping it will be able to grow dart baby tears. I won't be able to set it up until next Wednesday, though.

Did you mean dwarf baby tears?

I am not going to stock inverts, I was thinking baby dwarf puffers. I have a 10 gallon that I am going to set up soon that I can use as a grow out tank, if they ever get that big.

Awesome! Sorry I just assumed because it's so small you'd be stocking shrimp/snails, but you seem to have it all figured out. ;)
Good luck!
:fish2:

I got this tank because I admire the design and functionality. It has a built in sump that even has room for a heater inside. Here is a video showing how the heater fits into the sump (kudos to pecktec for the video):
Fluval Spec: Unboxing and Setup - YouTube
I plan to "instant cycle" it with some of my used filter media. I will dose some ammonia and see how fast it goes down. If it can't go through 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours, I am going to keep dosing until it can. Dwarf puffers are messy eaters, and this is a relatively small tank, so I want to make sure it's cycled. I bought some freeze dried brine shrimp cubes, freeze dried krill, frozen bloodworms, and frozen daphnia. If these foods aren't accepted, I will just use pond snails as a last resort.

maxwellag said:
I got this tank because I admire the design and functionality. It has a built in sump that even has room for a heater inside. Here is a video showing how the heater fits into the sump (kudos to pecktec for the video):
Fluval Spec: Unboxing and Setup - YouTube
I plan to "instant cycle" it with some of my used filter media. I will dose some ammonia and see how fast it goes down. If it can't go through 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours, I am going to keep dosing until it can. Dwarf puffers are messy eaters, and this is a relatively small tank, so I want to make sure it's cycled. I bought some freeze dried brine shrimp cubes, freeze dried krill, frozen bloodworms, and frozen daphnia. If these foods aren't accepted, I will just use pond snails as a last resort.

Awesome video! These tanks are really nice and the layout he did was really nice makes me wanna get one with RCS lol

Fishandmusic81 said:
Awesome video! These tanks are really nice and the layout he did was really nice makes me wanna get one with RCS lol

Also say I am gonna buy one where's the cheapest place I can buy one I know they do tend to be a bit expensive

Fishandmusic81 said:

Maybe I will be able to find some driftwood that small. :) Who knows...

Idk if all petcos have this but over here they have a 10 gal filled with pieces if driftwood and some would fit in a two gal

My petco just has random sized and shaped pieces laying on shelves. I'm sure I will wind some, it just might take a while.

Fishandmusic81 said:
Also say I am gonna buy one where's the cheapest place I can buy one I know they do tend to be a bit expensive

I helped him find a decent deal. They've dropped in price recently. They go about 50-60 shipped.

On wag.com if you type in the code WAGNY25 then add a 3.99 item to your cart, it drops the whole order to 40.00 roughly shipped. A great deal in my opinion. I'm going to purchase one, too.

I helped him find a decent deal. They've dropped in price recently. They go about 50-60 shipped.

On wag.com if you type in the code WAGNY25 then add a 3.99 item to your cart, it drops the whole order to 40.00 roughly shipped. A great deal in my opinion. I'm going to purchase one, too.
I already told them in a PM in case I broke any rules, but its fine. LOL

Surprise! I got home early and was able to set it up. :) I added some HC to see how it does under the LEDs. I am going to dose some Seachem Flourish to make sure it is a test of the lights, and not how many nutrients are in the water. I haven't dosed ammonia yet, though.

Here are some pictures. :)
full tank shot of a near empty tank:
ForumRunner_20120420_192344.jpg

Here is the HC I added. It's a small chunk, so I figured if it died, it's not a huge loss.
ForumRunner_20120420_192359.jpg

maxwellag said:
Here are some pictures. :)
full tank shot of a near empty tank:

Here is the HC I added. It's a small chunk, so I figured if it died, it's not a huge loss.

Hc is the dwarf baby tears?

And it looks good. I actually just shipped my order, but I just read in fine little print (We can not ship to PO boxes) which as you should know is where I am.

My uni has a shipping and receiving center, so hopefully it'll wind up there. I placed the order at 5 and they said it'll arrive tomorrow. Oddness.

What are you officially planting? What are the foreground/background and ornament plans?

MABJ said:
Hc is the dwarf baby tears?

And it looks good. I actually just shipped my order, but I just read in fine little print (We can not ship to PO boxes) which as you should know is where I am.

My uni has a shipping and receiving center, so hopefully it'll wind up there. I placed the order at 5 and they said it'll arrive tomorrow. Oddness.

What are you officially planting? What are the foreground/background and ornament plans?

Probably HC and dwarf hairgrass, if it will grow. I might get driftwood, it all depends on what I find. I don't want fake plants because they look weird compared to live plants.

By ornament, I just meant like stones/driftwood. But nice :D. I hope it'll be easy to setup a declining scape in the 2g.

Back
Top Bottom