Fluval Spec V stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA, I recently ordered a Fluval Spec V off amazon and now I'm wonderin what to put in it. My mom (amazingly) gave me permission to put it in the living room on a table that everyone will see so Id like something a little more than a betta.
As yall may or may not know the V specs are fairly long so I was hoping there is some type of fish that could work for this tank. I plan on also trying my hand at planting it because my parents really want this tank to be the highlight of the room.
Right now I'm thinking chili rasbora, do you think those guys will work in the tank? Of course there are lots of nanos out there so id love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've just been looking at the many different shrimps out there. There's one similar to the RCS but it's bright yellow instead of red. That could really stand out close up and far away.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've just been looking at the many different shrimps out there. There's one similar to the RCS but it's bright yellow instead of red. That could really stand out close up and far away.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yeah I was considering a shrimp tank but my mom wasn't on board for the idea of a virtual empty tank.
Normally I'd insert a little more information into explaining it to her but since she let me put it in the living room in the first place I'm going to leave her alone about it.

Neon tetras look super cool in this tank! I have one! I also have 2 rcs and am getting more. But the neons look really great in there!

Sent from my iPhone

Neon tetras look super cool in this tank! I have one! I also have 2 rcs and am getting more. But the neons look really great in there!

Sent from my iPhone
Ummm neon should be in schools of 6+, preferably more. And that many probably wouldn't work in a 5g.

Maybe some scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, or ember tetras. Your idea of a dwarf/micro rasbora sp. would also be great.

I know, but if you had 4-5 that would still be fine.. They are just happier with more, you could probably do 6 in that tank. It's a 5.6 gallon and neons are tiny.

Sent from my iPhone

I only have 3 in there because I haven't been able to make it to the shop to get more, because I used to have 5 neons in another tank and 2 died so I moved the other three to this tank..

Sent from my iPhone

Neons are very active. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 10.
Ideas-
Dwarf Puffer
Celestial Pearl Danios
Danio Choprae
Ember Tetras
Chili Rasboars
Sundadanio Axelrodi
Dario Dario
Clown killifish
A betta imported from taiwan (look on aquabid.com)
Otos
Sparkling gourami
Endlers

Hope that helps.

Neons are very active. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 10.
Ideas-
Dwarf Puffer
Celestial Pearl Danios
Danio Choprae
Ember Tetras
Chili Rasboars
Sundadanio Axelrodi
Dario Dario
Clown killifish
A betta imported from taiwan (look on aquabid.com)
Otos
Sparkling gourami
Endlers

Hope that helps.

Yes this was a very very helpful read thanks! (And yes don't worry I ain't putting neons in it)
I haven't previously considered the DP. That may just be what goes in it! Thanks for all the responses/suggestions!

With the dwarf puffer, make sure you have another tank to breed pest snails.

Yeah for sure! Since I know I won't be able to get them to get another tank for snails and snails alone, I'll probably just cultivate them in my 60 if I do go that route. Snails don't bug me like some people.

Yeah for sure! Since I know I won't be able to get them to get another tank for snails and snails alone, I'll probably just cultivate them in my 60 if I do go that route. Snails don't bug me like some people.

I'm the same way. I have pond/MTS/ramshorn. Let me know if you want any.

How big do dwarf puffers get? I breed ramshorn snails.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, look them up on YouTube. There are some really funny videos of them looking at snails. I would have them by now, but they aren't always community safe.

Back
Top Bottom