fly larva in new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few weeks ago I saw what looked like small worms in my new aquarium but they turned out to be insect larva. I'm pretty sure it's a tiny fly with large (for it's size) rounded wings. I looked in my filter today, a Marineland 400 biowheel, and saw what looked like quite a number of the larva, along with another of the flies, on the sponge filters where they are sticking out just above the water level. This tank is in the process of cycling but I'm hoping I can get rid of those before they all become flies. Would it be safe to rinse the filter sponges in a bucket of aquarium water or would that be likely to harm the bacteria that I need for the cycle?

I would give it a GOOD rinse in a bucket of aquarium water, probably will be gross but it will be worth it! It should not harm your cycle at all if its tank water.
Good luck! ...and pictures?

It sounds like you have fungus flies. Little black flies about 1/16" of an inch long or so with 3/32" long rounded clear wings? I've never had them in any of my aquariums, but I do find them dead under the tank lights and sometimes see them floating in the tank. They live in houseplants.

Rinse the cartridges well in old tank water. It can't hurt to try. My fish eat the flies that fall in the tank, so if they survive the rinsing, seal the filter to the tank well with Saran wrap or something. After you add fish, they'll have their own vending machine.

Back
Top Bottom