Flying fox good fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've done a little research and I think them seem very cool and interesting! They have them at my local pet store. I read you can only keep one in a tank as adults because they are dominant. But are they friendly peaceful fish to others?? Also, are they good algae eaters? I have a 30 gallon sand tank. Any response is appreciated thanks :))

They tend to eat algae when small and young but as they mature the much prefer processed foods we add over algae. I've had ones that behaved themselves when grown and others that were not so fish friendly. Only keep one as they do not play well with others of their own kind. I don't know if your tank is planted but they sometimes develop a taste for delicate fine leaf plants like Rotala Wallichii, Cabomba, and such. They have their place but I would rather keep my tanks in balance so algae doesn't grow other than using fish that may use my plants as their personal salad bar.

They tend to eat algae when small and young but as they mature the much prefer processed foods we add over algae. I've had ones that behaved themselves when grown and others that were not so fish friendly. Only keep one as they do not play well with others of their own kind. I don't know if your tank is planted but they sometimes develop a taste for delicate fine leaf plants like Rotala Wallichii, Cabomba, and such. They have their place but I would rather keep my tanks in balance so algae doesn't grow other than using fish that may use my plants as their personal salad bar.

I only have fake plants so I think we are good on that matter :)

I have a 4.5" TL SAE and he is constantly going to town on the algae growing on my driftwood. Heck he even goes for the algae on the glass, but they are obviously not suckers, literally. I bought him at 2" approximately 8 months ago; they more than double in size in no time. And he's fat, to boot. He's not aggressive at all, but they can be if housed with another of its kind, especially in a tank less than 40g.

David

I have a 4.5" TL SAE and he is constantly going to town on the algae growing on my driftwood. Heck he even goes for the algae on the glass, but they are obviously not suckers, literally. I bought him at 2" approximately 8 months ago; they more than double in size in no time. And he's fat, to boot. He's not aggressive at all, but they can be if housed with another of its kind, especially in a tank less than 40g.

David

What does TL stand for?

Back
Top Bottom