Flying Fox or SAE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Just curious if anyone has a positive ID on these guys. I've looked online and keep getting conflicting info. I'm fairly confident that these are two different fish. The first one seems to me like it's the best candidate for SAE, and the one behind it a flying fox. But... I'm clearly not sure. The front one has a goldish tinge to it, and a darker line. The one behind it has a less defined line, and a whitish colored line above it. It is also more dark silver. Any help is appreciated.

img_1628053_0_6cda485160c04c730b806376d3f34e7e.jpg

Now... anyone want to see some serious hair algae? There's some dwarf hairgrass under there somewhere.

img_1628053_1_3db9b17d5b557e171cb4a11ec2d451da.jpg

It's almost so bad, I'm borderline proud of it!

That's a nice carpet you got going there. I think my neglected 30g could give you a run for your money in an algae contest. ;)

Sorry, I'm no help in ID'ing.

I have four true SAE. The horizontal stripe is jagged on the edges. The dorsal fin is clear and they will school together most of the time. Mine does it in pairs and searches for food together. When one swims away the other follows. Another good indication is they don't swim with their body horizontally but the body is at an angle with the head up and tail down.

Manix said:
I have four true SAE. The horizontal stripe is jagged on the edges. The dorsal fin is clear and they will school together most of the time. Mine does it in pairs and searches for food together. When one swims away the other follows. Another good indication is they don't swim with their body horizontally but the body is at an angle with the head up and tail down.

They also should only have one pair of barbells and no gold stripe above the black one.

I would agree with the one in front being the SAE and the one in back, a flying fox.

Back
Top Bottom