Flying foxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some flying foxes under the impression that they are great algea eaters. They graze on plants but I haven't seen many results.
I heard they eat hair algae too. They haven't touched mine. Can anyone tell me more about these guys?
are4atez.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long have you had them?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That fish looks more like a Siamese Algae Eater than it does a Flying Fox...
Both eat different types of algae (and i do not know which ones) but he may just be a little stressed and not used to his new surroundings, give him some time and he may get at it!
Also if it is a SAE they like to be groups (3+)

It's a flying fox. On SAEs the black extends through the tail. I never had good luck with FFs doing anything for algae control and they also became too aggressive. SAEs on the other hand I've had great luck with and have in most of my tanks.

It's a flying fox. On SAEs the black extends through the tail. I never had good luck with FFs doing anything for algae control and they also became too aggressive. SAEs on the other hand I've had great luck with and have in most of my tanks.

Yeah he looks a little washed out over the sand so thats why i said SAE.

I bought 4 but I ended up with two. I'll try to get a better picture later.

ebybynu2.jpg

The black extends through his tail. Hard to see in the picture

Looks like an SAE. Once he gets comfortable, he should start nibbling algae. I have two and they eat lots of it, but will pick other types over thread or black brush algae any day.

Looks like a Siamese to me also, I have a pair. Give them time and they will start munching. Mine prefer the algae that grows on the decorations and fake plants. Problem is they've figured out how to pin a floating pellet in a corner and take it to the gravel. They'll both sit on it and munch for a while until my JD takes it.

After they've settled in they gave gone nuts eating algea. The past couple days they have been working non stop. So glad I got them.

Back
Top Bottom