Flying under the radar (angelfish and kuhli loaches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fiance and I have absolutely fallen in love with the angelfish in our 29 gallon, Flint. He's a real character, one of the more beautiful and personable fish I've had the pleasure of keeping, and he's been the perfect introduction to the joys of fishkeeping for my fiance (this has been her first tank!). We've decided we want to get a pair of angelfish and spawn them.

We're getting a 55 gallon tank for a wedding gift in August, and we already have a filter and heater for it. The plan is to move everything from the 29 gallon (6 platys, 4 bronze corydoras, 4 kuhli loaches, and the angelfish) into the 55 and add one more corydoras and loach, and 5 angelicus loaches (botia kubotai) because botia loaches are among my very favorite fish and it's been ages since I've kept one.

The 29 will then be used for sorting out a pair of angelfish and then spawning them. We've been doing research on that and have a fairly good idea what to do for that (although tips are always appreciated!) and we know that a community tank around spawning angels is a terrible, terrible idea.

What I was wondering is, are there any fish that could be kept with the spawning pair of angelfish that will "fly under their radar"? We were considering maybe leaving the kuhli loaches in the 29 with the spawning angelfish so that something is stirring up the sand and preventing it from becoming anoxic. Our thinking is that the kuhlis hide enough and are generally nocturnal so the angelfish won't be able to bother them much. Would this work?

Here's hoping Andy Sager answers lol

Last edited:
It should work but kuhlis will come out during the day if they aren't threatened. Shouldn't be a problem as angels are slow compared to kuhlis. You could probably leave the corydoras there because of their tough exoskeleton like skin the Angels shouldn't be able to harm them.

Keep calm and drum on

When it comes to breeding Angels being kept with other fish, you take your chances. There's no set rule for them anymore. Some fish don;t mind the company while others will kill off entire tanks of other fish. You won;t know how your fish will be until it happens, then you'll know for the next time. ;) If you want to raise fry, I strongly suggest leaving the Angels by themselves to do this unless you are going to artificially hatch them out. If that's the case, then you can try keeping with other fish but be aware that many will try to eat the Angel's eggs.
As for tips and tricks for breeding and raising Angels, I suggest you read the thread " Wigglers at last!!!" in the breeding forum. It was an ongoing thread by both professional and hobbyist breeders before it was closed down. Just about everything you need to know was discussed on that thread. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom