Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I added some guppies to my tank. I'm feeding them with Nutrafin Max Complete Food Flakes. The flakes are a bit big so I usually crunch them between my fingers. I noticed that my guppies go for the food, swallow it and spit it right back. why do they do that? Are the flakes still too big? Or too small? Don't they like it? Are they just eating one color of flakes and the rest goes to waste?

Thanks
Vero

Good question, I've seen fish do that too. I've always assumed it meant that they didn't like the food.

yeah, either they dont like the food or its not wet enough for them to eat it, who knows.....i wish fish could talk to us sometimes! :D

My fish do this, too, especially juvies, and I believe they need to work it around a bit to soften it, and get it to where they can swallow it. Also, any fish that gets new food (assuming the food you are using is different than what they were getting) will be tentative and may even go on hunger strike for several days. Eventually they will go for it with gusto.

Back
Top Bottom