food for otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some otos about a week ago, i have been feeding them algea pellets mostly, i gave them some boiled cucumber today, and they loved it. My questions are:

1)will the cucumber or any other food throw off my params, or my my water cloudy?

2)How long until i should remove the uneaten cucmber?

3)what other food do they like besides algea and cucumbers?(i know the like zuccini too)

I have never had fish with sucker mouths before, so i don't know much about them. I have only had a pleco, which always ate off the top of the water and whatever the other fish ate. I know fish need a variety of food, thats why i feed all my fish flake/ veggies, and bloodworms and sometimes mosquito larvea. I guess i should have resarched them more before i got them. I had never seen them for sale around here, I saw two of them left so i snatched them. I have done my research about how they are very sensitive to changes in ph and such(before i got them). And how you are supposed to acclimate them longer than other fish. I also heard that they eat driftwood, so I put a few decorative peices in there. They seem to be doing very well, the poop alot, so that is a good sign. I really like these guys, if anybodt could answer my questions, and if you have any pointers, i could use those too TIA

As long as the veggies are removed before they start to go bad they won't affect your water parms. Generally you should remove them after 24hrs.

AFAIK Otos do not require driftwood, although it does tend to harbor a nice supply of algae for them.

remove the cucumbers within 24hrs or less, even when you peel the skin, the water may still get really cloudy after a day

plecos are nocturnal, so i just throw in some cucumber at night, and fish it out in the morning

otos are diturnal right? put in when you wake up, let them feed, and remove before you go to bed

experiement around with cucumbers, zuccihini, carrots, skinned peas, and some fruits...

Back
Top Bottom