Food is food right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffers99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, newbie here, I am about to setup my new 90g community and I wanted to ask about popular food favorites! I know this could be an open ended question and highly open to debate, but I just wanted to get a quick shout on what folks are using in general.

I know that it depends on your inhabitants, but I figure that I will be going with mostly mid level to lower level fishy friends like cory's. That being said I was thinking vegi wafers and mix it up between granules and frozen?

At the moment, im thinking about
10-15 cardinal tetra
2 clown loach
8 guppies
4 to 6 cory's
2 gourami's
and maybe a bluefin notho

I have read in quite a few places that regardless of the type. generally its good to get food with garlic in?

:fish1::fish1:

:thanks:

That garlic thing seems to be a fad. I've read a couple of articles (sorry, didn't bookmark the links) about the fact that there has been no research to prove that it has any benefits, even for medicinal uses. That doesn't necessarily mean it's useless, but I suspect the fish food manufacturers have just been adding garlic because people like to spend money on something new.

I use Omega One salmon flakes, Tetra sinking pellets, and frozen blood worm and daphnia.

Stick with anything made by hikari, omega one, cobalt or nls and you'll be just fine;) my corys love the sinking shrimp pellets and veggie wafers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

None of the fish in the list would be considered vegetarian. While most so called veggie products contain fish meal, a more general food might be a better choice than veggie wafers.

None of the fish in the list would be considered vegetarian. While most so called veggie products contain fish meal, a more general food might be a better choice than veggie wafers.

I reccomended them as part of a broad line of food, not the primary diet.

That garlic thing seems to be a fad. I've read a couple of articles (sorry, didn't bookmark the links) about the fact that there has been no research to prove that it has any benefits, even for medicinal uses. That doesn't necessarily mean it's useless, but I suspect the fish food manufacturers have just been adding garlic because people like to spend money on something new.

True, no real controlled studies have been done with garlic, but that can be said for a lot of practices and ideas in this hobby.

Concerning garlic, everything I have read states that it does have a definite impact on enticing fish to eat and seems to be an appetite enhancer. Any medicinal value attributed to the use of garlic extracts in fish food are still debated, but the anecdotal evidence would suggest that it does help with immune system function. That is also a reported effect attributed to garlic in human usage that goes back eons and has been confirmed to some degree through research, so it's not that risky of a leap to assume the same benefits would apply to other animals as well.
:fish2:

True, no real controlled studies have been done with garlic, but that can be said for a lot of practices and ideas in this hobby.

Concerning garlic, everything I have read states that it does have a definite impact on enticing fish to eat and seems to be an appetite enhancer. Any medicinal value attributed to the use of garlic extracts in fish food are still debated, but the anecdotal evidence would suggest that it does help with immune system function. That is also a reported effect attributed to garlic in human usage that goes back eons and has been confirmed to some degree through research, so it's not that risky of a leap to assume the same benefits would apply to other animals as well.
:fish2:

And the fact that it makes stuff taste better:) alot of the artificial baits sold for bass fishing are infused with garlic.. must be something there??

Stick with anything made by hikari, omega one, cobalt or nls and you'll be just fine;) my corys love the sinking shrimp pellets and veggie wafers.

I agree with this. I go between NLS and Omega and every time I bring a fish in to hand off to the LFS they always tell me how healthy and great looking they are :)

Omega One, New life Spectrum, Hikari (depending on which variety,) and Fluval foods are awesome.
I recently added Fluval to my mix of foods having been very impressed with the ingredient list.

Excellent .... Thanks again I will try some of each! [emoji6][emoji6]

Really when it comes down to fish food I think reading the ingredient label is the #1 requirement. High quality ingredients first (such as fish meal), and low quality last or not there at all (such as soy or wheat). I buy several "off brands" of fish food, because their make up is very similar or the same to pricier name brands. Simply look at the back and read the ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom