Food questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katherine1119

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm wondering what the difference between frozen brine shrimp cubes and brine shrimp pellets is? Also where can I buy frozen brine shrimp and blood worms?

Pellets have all the moisture removed, and thus have fewer nutritional benefits than live or frozen. Frozen is better than live for storage reasons and because live often contains parasites. Frozen brine shrimp are also often vitamin-enriched before packaging, making them an ideal supplemental food item. The benefits of pellets are lower cost, storage, not having to defrost, and they're not as messy as frozen. Hope this helps! Your local fish and/or pet stores will have them, either in a display freezer, or in a freezer in their back room, so just ask an employee :)

Reactions: HN1
Thank you that does help, do you know about whether I should feed brine shrimp or blood worms?

What fish do you have? The majority of fish LOVE frozen blood worms, brine shrimp & many other frozen foods. I have Bettas & they get frozen foods in place of their pellets once or twice a week. I've been debating on trying frozen beef heart but don't know if they'll eat it, probably because they are PIGS.

Danios, pleco, goldfish, dwarf gourami, are blood worms or brine shrimp more nutritious than the other? I feed brine shrimp pellets right now will this do or should I get froZen?

Do both! For example, I also feed all my fish frozen twice a week. I have a billion tanks, so I always thaw out one bloodworm cube and one "freshwater frenzy" (mysis, cyclops, daphnia, brine), brine shrimp or mysis shrimp cube at a time, twice a week. But if it's just for one or two tanks, you could feed bloodworms once a week, and brine shrimp the other. Try looking for hikari brand, as they have vitamin enriched brine shrimp and bloodworms :)

The 1st time you give them frozen it may take them a minute to figure it out & then when they do watch out, if they're like mine, they will go NUTS!! Its quite fun to watch.

I feed frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, and flakes to accommodate all of the fish in my tank. They love all of it and prefer the food frozen in a cube. When I thaw it they don't go after it much.

in my 150 gallon i rotate with flakes, pellets, and frozen foods throughout the week just to keep things from getting boring. for my cories and loaches they get whatever ia left over from that, then i also supplement with peas, which they LOVE and even my tetras will eat them sometimes, then they have pellets and algae wafers too, and on occaision broccoli and zucchini too! i like to pretend i am their personal chef hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom