foooooooddd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive been only feeding my fish flakes and I wanna vary their diet so what food should I get. I have glass cats and guppies and a pleco and some shrimp.. and I'm planning on getting some cory cats today as well

Ohh okay. I was more looking for something nutritional that I could feed more often?

I must have semi-vegetarian fish...but all of them adore the Hikari algae wafers. I also just started using NLS h2o stable pellets and those seem to be a hit too. What's great about them is they don't dissolve and make a mess. But yeah, frozen bloodworms are loved by all once a week. My fish would probably start a revolt without them.

using a very high quality pellet is good enough as far as nutrition goes.

@eco check the ingredient list on the label, most 'algae' wafers shouldn't be considered algae wafers at all.

jetajockey said:
@eco check the ingredient list on the label, most 'algae' wafers shouldn't be considered algae wafers at all.

Yeah, it lists seaweed (not sure what that's considered) as the third or fourth ingredient...and advertises on the front that it's rich in spirulina algae, but yeah, it's basically a hodgepodge of everything from wheat to garlic to krill to soybean.

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum pellets. It would be the healthiest thing for them all.

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum pellets. It would be the healthiest thing for them all.

I disagree, despite its Chuck Norris like backing.

img_1476902_0_37cda5e6d17a2c757e45d678026444a9.png

I haven't. Never tried feeding my fish metal shavings either. I don't want to argue, I think NLS is a fine food. I read your write-up about how it's healthier than fresh veggies and live food because live food is "far from natural." I don't know where NLS grows naturally, but we're going to have to agree to disagree.

As long as we know what experience you are speaking from.

FYI it is much more nutritious than metal shavings.

How long have you tried feeding it exclusively?

Sorry but this argument is not very good. Anyone could make this claim about their high quality food and since its such a long term thing it's not easy to substantiate at the hobbyist level. I have happy healthy colorful fish that eat all kinds of stuff just like I have happy healthy colorful fish that eat only NLS (reason is because the pellet size works perfect for certain tanks).

I wrote out a long winded response to the nutrition writeup but I'll just leave it with a few short statements of why a single fish food cannot be the healthiest thing for all fish.

1) Not all fish will eat pellets. A few examples, certain WC fish, predators, and fry would rather starve than eat a processed food.

2) Not all fish have the same dietary needs. Example: vegetarian algae eaters.

3) Fish don't get a perfectly balanced diet in nature and are well adapted to compensate for that. Even still, for a vegetarian fish, a cucumber may not grow in its native environment but it's still a heck of a lot closer than a pellet with meat as its first ingredient.

4) Getting fish into breeding condition. It's not always about balance, and this is one reason why.

I apologize for being so critical but the wording reads like NLS is the Alpha/Omega (no pun intended).

If you just changed the "All fish" in your claims to "Most fish", you probably wouldn't get much of any contrary responses.

eco23 said:
I have a strange feeling we have not seen the Alpha and the Omega of this thread. :popcorn:

Lol!

I'm following. Curious to see the science/experience behind these theories.

Maya said:
Lol!

I'm following. Curious to see the science/experience behind these theories.

Believe me, this is a minimum 3x per month discussion on AA, haha. I'm not sure we've even reached the Gamma or Delta part of the conversation. As soon as I see "food" in the title of a thread...I click subscribe instantaneously.

Out of curiosity...are there benefits to feeding the pellets recommended as opposed to flakes? My Ram is strictly a bottom feeder and won't grab it on the way down unless it's bloodworms...pellets aren't gonna work with my substrate. (now it just sounds like I'm instigating :) ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom