for all you clam lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always wanted to try FW clams, but I hear they are very difficult to keep alive.

Great price, whose game? :D

Ok, I thought the title of this thread was a joke, but thats a really good price on some clam!

Ok, now I'm really intrigued.

1) Why are they hard to keep alive?
2) How do you know if they are dead?
3) Any special requirements?

For about $14 with shipping, that still seems like a hell of a deal, so if anyone can help me out with the answers to one or more of my questions I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

well mines stay alive pretty easily. i think you just need like proper params and make sure theres enough stuff to filter out.

Getting them enough to eat seems to be the thing with clams. I have heard so many more sob stories than success stories, so I'm skeptical about keeping them. Mostly what I hear is "I thought I was doing everything right, so why did my clams die?" :?

I'd love to hear more about how you keep yours, Danny - been a while since I've heard about successful husbandry of these FW mollusks.

Do they just go underground when you get them and then you never see them again? Anyone know how they would interact with ADFs or cory cats?

well... ive changed my substrate 2ce since i got them... so yeah. they burrow pretty quick.. uhh i dont do anything special. i feel the wardleys shrimp pellets every now and then, mosquito larvae, krill and brine shrimp, pellets, tetra flakes, algae wafers and bottom feeder thingys. i feed em what i feel like seeing them eat :).

id suggest posting if your going to bid so you guys dont have to go onto a lil price war :)

wow never mind hahaha. i didnt think 6 clams would be buy it now for 99 cents haha. so i didnt check for it.. my bad.

oh and i think they'll go find with bottom feeders etc because their under the sand and they keep their shells slightly open to let their filter out of the shell

Anyone with clam experience out there? I really want to try them but I don't want something that disappears from sight the minute I buy it and I never know if they are alive or dead.

I would suspect that a fry food like Sera Micron or liqifry will provide particles for them to filter out. We then to filter all that stuff out and aim for crystal clear water. I suspect that clams would like cloudy or grren water... or atleast some powdered food.

I have seen demonstrations where mussels are used in a container of green water and it is gone in 30 minutes or something. Of course, this brings up one of the many paradoxes in this hobby - if you want green water, you can't grow it, and if you don't want it, you can't get rid of it. :lol:

OK. After reading this thread I cannot help wondering why would anybody want to add to the bioload of the aquarium without any benefit, like the enjoyment of watching and observing the behavior of the new inhabitant. :eek:

Any clam watcher out there who would like to shed some light into this clammy question?

i think its kinda fun looking for your lil clams. oh wait!! theres a puff of sand goin up.. aha! there it is.

type thing...

they eat the lil things in the water that make your water cloudy.. its kind of like a bamboo shrimp, except it eats faster (i think)

Back
Top Bottom