??? for stocking a 55 gallon community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtgray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to be setting up a 55 gallon community tank and would like some feedback on my plans. I've had cichlid tanks in the past but this will be my first community tank. I'm thinking

4- German Blue Rams
8- Cardinal Tetras
8- Rummy-nose Tetras
3- Bleeding heart Tetras
8-Otocinclus Catfish

Would this be doable, or would it be over stocked?

Rams will probably pair off and are generally peaceful except when mating. I'd bump up the bleeding hearts to 5 they like schools. Also have read Otocinclus don't do well in new tanks it's better to let them be up and running a bit first.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would pick two of the tetra schools and then increase the amount in the school. Maybe get some corys. Just so you have something to scavenge missed food.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a similar tank that I'm setting up as well. The rummy nose and bleeding hearts like slightly cooler temperatures from what I've read. Max 77F.. I have my tank set at 80F and have
8 Cardinal Tetras
2 Blue Rams (1m,1f)
2 Dwarf Gourami (1m,1f)
4 Red cockatoo cichlid (1m,3f)
1 golden bristle nose pleco (male)

I'm either going to add 10 more cardinals or a school of penguin tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd lower the number of otos and get either a group of cories or loaches.

I think you should do:

2 German blue rams
13 cardinal tetras
7 bleeding heart tetras
8 otocinclus
6 peppered corydoras

I tried this on aqadvisor and it said this would work.

Do this! 5 bolivian rams and 30 cardinal tetras, 7 otos and a wicked sweet/expensive pleco! The pleco will midnight mission for eggs and keep the peace..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do this! 5 bolivian rams and 30 cardinal tetras, 7 otos and a wicked sweet/expensive pleco! The pleco will midnight mission for eggs and keep the peace..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not everyone can afford that wicked awesome zebra pleco you have XD but I second this. Large schools look great and their are quite a few species of pleco that stay a smaller size and won't break the bank. Clowns and bristlenose to name a few.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the info, everyone. This will be my first community, and all info is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom