For the Otocinclus experts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidAl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is she preggers, fat or sick? She's in a 29g with a few other Otos, and she eats more than I do.

What do you think?

David

Attachments

• PICT0746.jpg
    PICT0746.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 175
  • PICT0737.jpg
    PICT0737.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 173
I'm no Otto expert but....holy crap! That's a fat Otto. I had a few for a while. Never got that big.

one of mine looks like that too. i thought maybe it ate too much and got fat. lol. now i am curious too.

I am certainly no expert so I have no idea, but is it possible it is pregnant? I have four of them and come to think of it, I have no clue as to what their breeding habits are.

Is she preggers, fat or sick? She's in a 29g with a few other Otos, and she eats more than I do.

What do you think?

David

I'm no expert but my experience with this is that I brought 15 as a clean up crew because the tank was getting too dirty with algea growth sadly one by one they got real fat like the one in your pic and eventually died not sure what it was or why but it did look exactly the same as this guy :(

Looks to me to be just fat. I have one seriously fat oto, fatter than yours actually, and has been for a very long time. I recently bought a few more and a couple have got bellies like yours and are completely fine. unless you were seeing your fish swimming oddly or something else I would just take your fat oto as what it is, a fat oto

Pictures from a couple months ago of my fatty, he's a little bigger now

Attachments

• image-2404258714.jpg
    image-2404258714.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image-371374976.jpg
    image-371374976.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, Zimm, and thank to everyone who responded.

She keeps eating and, more importantly, pooping, so I think all is well. I'll wait and see if this develops into anything worth worrying about.

David

Back
Top Bottom