For those with Pythons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's been some talk (in the Lounge), of many having problems with the unit leaking badly from the faucet. I think I solved this problem by wrapping the brass threads with some teflon plumbers tape.

HTH

there has not been any problems with my python so far (knock on driftwood). i always check for leaks after each component in attached. it would be nice if the whole faucet assemply unit was made of brass...i have a feeling that those plastic threadings won't last very long against the brass threadings.

Brian, do you mean that white stretchy tape I used to put on the threads when I changed my showerhead?

I've been wondering about this, too, because I put a brass adapter on my sink for my Python hose to attach to. The light green plastic on the Python is already beginning to shred. So do I put this tape on the inner part of the Python's hose--the part that screws onto the brass adapter on my faucet?

teflon tape goes on whichever part has the male end (threads on the outside). You don't need much and you should not have to twist it on very hard at all with teflon tape on it.

Is there a gasket that goes on the inner portion of the python female end? If so perhaps people are twisting them on TOO tight. Crushing those gaskets will cause a leak as rubber gaskets of that nature are meant to just lightly touch the other part of the piping and then maybe a quarter or half turn beyond that.

Interesting.

I had to buy the brass adaptors as the plastics ones leaked something awful. But once I did, I haven't had a problem since. And yes, there is a gasket; you may have hit on something there patryuji.

The teflon tape trick works like a charm....for awhile.
Unfortunately, constantly screwing and unscrewing the pump onto the faucet eventually takes a toll on the pump's soft plastic threads.

I couldn't live without my python, but for the money that they charge for this thing, the pump part really should be made of metal. Grrr.

I purchased three sets of standard garden hose quick-release connectors and installed them betweeen the faucet/pump, the shutoff valve/gravel tube, and between my two 25 ft lengths of hose. Each set cost about $2.50 at my garden center. Now, I don't have to worry about stripping or crossthreading anything and changing gravel vacs is a snap (I have one for the big tank and one for the QT).

Agreed QTOFFER. I just bought a replacement venturi pump for $7 at the lfs. You know though, this company (Python), really is customer friendly. They told me just to send mine back and it would replaced no charge.

Back
Top Bottom