Forced guppy adoption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff likes fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I recently bought a dwarf gourami to add to my 20g which also has 2 mollies 2 platies, 1 skirt tetra, 1 small pleco ( will upgrade) 1 angel ( will upgrade) and a Cory cat. So 9 fish. All very tiny fish. But my gf had a guppy that wasn't happy in her tank so she put it in mine. Its a male, I need to know if I should add any more guppies or something to keep it happy. I'm worried about the other fish picking on it!!

They aren't schooling fish, so don't worry about that.. Is it male or female? (males have colorful, long tails)

I wouldn't worry overly about the guppy. However, I would be concerned about the single tetra. Is it a Black skirt? Tetra are schooling fish and should be kept in groups. I would really seriously consider getting more Black skirt tetra to keep the other one company.

Color skirt, a nice green color, very peaceful and gets along very well with other fish, and it is a male, it was once kept with 1 female ( before I owned it) and it committed aquatic homicide on it. But it doesn't seem to want to kill any of my other fish

You should either buy 2 more or leave him alone. But don't buy colored skirt tetras. They're cruelly dyed. Buy either black or white skirt tetras when you do.

Wow I never knew that, thanks for the tip! And okay I don't want to overstock my tank so I suppose I'll leave him alone

You should either buy 2 more or leave him alone. But don't buy colored skirt tetras. They're cruelly dyed. Buy either black or white skirt tetras when you do.

+1 on not buying anymore "color skirts". Add instead black skirts. Since they are the same basic fish just different color morphs, they should all school together. I have to disagree with the "buy 2 more or leave him alone" comment. Tetra really are more comfortable in numbers. Skirted tetra in particular can be known as nippy fish when not kept in large groups. I'd honestly recommend a school of no less than 5+ since they will do best when there are more than 3 fish in the school.

Not a problem! I was shocked when I found out as well. I actually had two silver red finned tetras and one was harassing the other to death, so I took the aggressor back to the store!

So do you think I'd be over stocked if I purchased more tetras? And yes I'm shocked at the cruelty. No wonder I only find them
At walmart,
Pleasing to a child's eye.

I would typically agree with that, it's just that all have different personality traits. His may be anti family. Lol. But I say three or none because odd groups typically leave a different social order than even numbers. Everybody is watching one or two backs. :p

Okay well I'll make a trip to pick up two more. Probably black skirt. And that makes sense. I am very new to this, and I'm trying to learn everything I can.

I personally don't think you will. Everybody has different preferences. If your bottom isn't too crowded however, get another Cory fish. They love friends.

I separate the tank into 3 divisions. Top bottom and middle. You can put a certain number of fish in every section. Bottom feeders don't add on to the overall bio load if there is a filter. You just have to decide where your fish stay most and see if you think it's over crowded. Either that or give the colored back to walmart. Or your lfs.

No problem! Make sure you keep an eye on your fishes behavior and get to know them.. And their fins. Youl know when they don't like changes to tanks!

I'll keep a close eye on em, they seem to act normal. Any advice for when I leave for vacation? I'll be gone about 6 days. I have a timer for the light. What should I do about food?

Is your pleco a common pleco? Honestly, with the Angel and the pleco in there, you're probably creeping close to being over stocked already...keeping in mind how large they both get. Angels can potentially reach up to 6 inches and it's usually recommended to keeping them in a 40 gallon tank or larger. Common plecos can potentially reach up to 18-24 inches. I'd say even for the black skirts, a 20 gallon is minimum. Corys also do better when kept in groups of 3+. Is it possible for you to get a larger tank? A better stocking list for your current tank might look something like this:

1 dwarf gourami
2 Molly
2 Platy
3 Corydoras
5 Color/Black skirt tetra

Both of those fish will be moved to 60 or larger tank within the next month or so

That sounds much better :)

Until then, I'd advise to at least get two black skirts and one more cory. That would make everyone a little more comfortable and still not add extremely to the bioload. Just make sure you are keeping up with your PWCs.

Can someone feed them? I know walmart sells little food cakes that will feed fish for a week while you're gone but I don't know what fish. Best to have a friend check in on them!

Back
Top Bottom