Forgot to shake the tetra safestart??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I actually initially shook the bottle, but then I remembered the guy at the mom and pop fish store told me to add the fish first then add the safestart. Well, I did a modified drip method to acclimate the fish. So after 30-45 minutes or longer I finally added the fish then added the safestart. I forgot to shake it this time and it had settled in the bottle. There were tons of white floaties everywhere. Most of it has filtered or settled now within the last 15 minutes, but is this cause for concern? The fish are swimming around seemingly fine, but then again it has been a very short while. Anyway, any info on whether or not I need to remove the fish or if they will be fine would be appreciated. The fish are three guppies.

Don't mean to break your heart but that stuff really doesn't work. Sometimes it does, 99% of the time it doesn't it's best to do a fishless cycle.

Don't mean to break your heart but that stuff really doesn't work. Sometimes it does, 99% of the time it doesn't it's best to do a fishless cycle.

You are the first one that has told me it does not work. Most say you still have to be very diligent with testing and pwc's etc, but I understand that is always a given anyway. It is a 60 gallong and I have three large pieces of driftwood, two smaller pieces and about 10 plants that all came from established tanks so hopefully with the combination of everything I will be ok.

Anybody else got any other advice or expand on what has been put forth thus far?

I actually initially shook the bottle.

Should still be fine as it wouldn't have settled that fast, check the water parameters in a few days to check it's progress.

Hate to break it to you but the product does work, it's one of the few instant cycle products that does exactly what it describes. It's based off the Biospira formula which has been proven time and time again to work.

Hmm good to know. That is just from what I read, but in a 60 gallon with only 3 guppies you should be good :)

Maybe i'll use it sometime if it does work. I'm always hesitant about that kind of stuff and it is good to hear your opinions, thanks!

This actually cycled it? Is it very expensive?

I am not sure if it cycled it yet or not, but everyone I spoke to for the most part says it does work. I will test my parameters again in a few days to see. I also have driftwood and plants that came from established tanks so that might have something to do with it if it does work. As for the price, the guy had a price tag of $17.99 on it, but since he is going out of business, I got three large pieces of driftwood, several plants, a bottle of conditioner/dechlorinator and the bottle of tetra safestart for $50. He pretty much just gave me the chemicals and marked the other stuff way down. Even though he is going out of business he showed me the water parameters that were taken the day before and all seemed good so I assume there are no problems with the stuff I bought from him. He seemed to keep his stuff balanced.

Wow I need to look into that! Of course my tank is almost done and future tanks can use media from that, but I think that's te first one that actually works!

I have had success with Tetra Safe Start. Check the bottom of the bottle for the expiration date, just to make sure it was not expired. If you think the bacteria settled on the bottom, add a little aquarium water to the bottle itself and shake it up, then pour it back in.

With three guppies in a 60g, you really didn't need to add TSS. You should have saved it for a large addition. A lot of that stuff is going to go to waste, unless your tap has ammonia.

David

I have had success with Tetra Safe Start. Check the bottom of the bottle for the expiration date, just to make sure it was not expired. If you think the bacteria settled on the bottom, add a little aquarium water to the bottle itself and shake it up, then pour it back in.

With three guppies in a 60g, you really didn't need to add TSS. You should have saved it for a large addition. A lot of that stuff is going to go to waste, unless your tap has ammonia.

David

I also have two cherry shrimp and some malaysian trumpet snails in there. The snails were stowaways in the driftwood and plants I bought. The cherry shrimp were given by an individual. I also have some more cherry shrimp reserved for when the tank is better suited.

Back
Top Bottom